Keeping the cats away

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilikerabbits

Reaction score
We have a horse float (bunny safe) outside that we plan to keep our rabbits in at night so no burrowing predators can get to them (it's got a floor and also warm and safe from the elements) , but I'd still like them to have a big paddock-like run for them to live in during the day. We'd simply build a nice bunny proof fence, if it weren't for the cats.. I'm scared that they just jump in. We're very rural so the feral cats are quite common around here. My parents/ the land owners want to have a moveable fence to be able to shift it to new patches of grass, which I see their point but I just don't think it would work. The fence would need to be sturdy enough so they couldn't just snip through it or barge through it, preferably dug into the ground a few cm so they can't dig out and then high enough they couldn't jump it. We had the idea that we could just cover it with bird netting, but it probably wont work because the horse float is over 2 m taller and we don't really want a fence that tall.
Any suggestions are appreciated and I know I might well be asking for something impossible :p

Thankyou! Yes the float door does have a missing piece at the top but we have already decided to netting that like you suggested :)

We have netting over our chicken coop to keep the chooks in and cats out which works well. I lock my buns up at night to keep them extra safe and warm but my big Flemish girl is in an uncovered run through the day and I don't feel worried about her and cats as I think the poor cat would be the one to suffer with her sassiness. My mum used to have free ranging backyard bunnies and if a cat jumped over the fence to them then they would chase it and try say hello but the cats sure didn't like that.😂
If you are worried about cats though then the bird netting over top is a great idea.

Latest posts

Back