Keeping rabbits warm in winter?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abi :)

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm hoping to redo our rabbit room and get rid of the hutch so they have half of the room and that they will have more space. The problem is that our utility room doesn't have central heating but it is technically apart of our house. In the summer if it gets too hot we can open the door to our garden and fresh air can cool the room down, in the winter we don't really use a heater as our washing machine and dryer (which run more in the winter) warm up the room. My parents are a bit worried that if we get rid of the hutch that we will have to insulate the room as their only source of heat will be the washer and dryer, and obviously it doesn't run 24/7. If we get rid of the hutch i was planning on getting those foam mats and placing bet sheets on them so they don't chew them, and then in some areas using an area rug. Then I was planning to get some tunnels, hide-houses and hopefully something similar to a tunnel haven as another hidey.

My concern is that with all of those rugs and hidey-houses it won't be warm enough as the roof in their hutch ideally keeps them warm. Any suggestions?

Their area measures 5ft by 7ft (approximately) of total floor space, please note that the hutch is never closed and they have outside time daily! Thanks <3

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-08-05 at 19.44.59.png
    Screenshot 2020-08-05 at 19.44.59.png
    230.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot 2020-08-05 at 19.45.03.png
    Screenshot 2020-08-05 at 19.45.03.png
    221 KB · Views: 6
How cold does it get where you are? Outdoor bunnies are fine to -20ยฐC when they have an insulated hidey house and when their hutch is shielded from snow and draft (I put plastic sheets over 80% of the wire when it gets really cold, and give them lots of hay as bedding) Doesn't get that cold anymore anyway. No winters like when I was a lad anymore.

I only use heating pads if there is a winter litter of kits. And, of course, for the water crocks. That's a huge help in winter.

As long as it doesn't get cold enough for their water to freeze and they have the opportunity to grow a thicker winter coat, it shouldn't be a problem. Providing hidey holes with fleece blankets, vet bed, foam tiles(provided your rabbits don't chew them), or hay on the floor to help insulate will also help when they want to snuggle up to stay warm. If you find they could use a safe heat source, a snugglesafe can work. It will last several hours and is rabbit safe.

How cold does it get where you are? Outdoor bunnies are fine to -20ยฐC when they have an insulated hidey house and when their hutch is shielded from snow and draft (I put plastic sheets over 80% of the wire when it gets really cold, and give them lots of hay as bedding) Doesn't get that cold anymore anyway. No winters like when I was a lad anymore.

I only use heating pads if there is a winter litter of kits. And, of course, for the water crocks. That's a huge help in winter.

Because they are indoor rabbits it isn't as cold as it is outside and the temperature tends to average between 4-8 degrees. I will probably buy some heat pads just incase and look into some warm hideys.

Latest posts

Back