Keeping rabbits cool in summer

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howard cordingley

Reaction score
Hi All. I wondered what methods people use to keep bunnies cool in hot weather? I have been using a clean damp cloth to stroke his ears with and he likes to
Lick ice cubes! Any other ideas welcomed

We did several things to keep our outdoor rabbits cooler in summer. We filled large soda bottles with water and kept them in the freezer, to use. A frozen bottle would last several hours and most of them would lay next to it and lick it. We also set up fans to keep air moving. We hung shade cloth to help keep the heat down under the rabbits’ cover. Each rabbit also had a 12” square ceramic tile to lay on.

Hi All. I wondered what methods people use to keep bunnies cool in hot weather? I have been using a clean damp cloth to stroke his ears with and he likes to
Lick ice cubes! Any other ideas welcomed
Curious... Peterborough is in Canada, yes? I didn't think it even got close to getting too hot for a rabbit out there. 80F is about as hot as it might get, with a rare 85F?? I doubt you'd have to worry about heat at all as long as they can get out of the sun and in some shade.

Curious... Peterborough is in Canada, yes? I didn't think it even got close to getting too hot for a rabbit out there. 80F is about as hot as it might get, with a rare 85F?? I doubt you'd have to worry about heat at all as long as they can get out of the sun and in some shade.
It could be Peterborough in the UK.
It's pretty hot here.

It could be Peterborough in the UK.
It's pretty hot here.

Aaah. Thanks for pointing out that option.

I just looked up weather in Peterborough, UK and it looks like the average summer highs there can be even cooler than Peterborough, UK. o_O Shows average of 4 days that might get above 85F in July. What pleasant weather.

Last edited:
I will freeze icecubes in a tray and put little pieces of strawberry and carrot in them. They will lick the ice cubes and they really seem to like it.
Frozen food is not safe I'm afraid. Some bunnies even get gut problems if you give them veg straight from the fridge. Also, it doesn't help in cooling them down. Majorv's suggestions are very good.

Frozen food is not safe I'm afraid. Some bunnies even get gut problems if you give them veg straight from the fridge. Also, it doesn't help in cooling them down. Majorv's suggestions are very good.
You can use ice cubes without the veg , i've heared .

Good idea for the bottled water! I'll have to try it out this summer. Weather claims this year will be one of the hottest for California and it'll be good to prepare soon.

Glad that this question was asked... I live in central Florida. I have a Holland lop she is free roaming (house has been bunny proofed) we have a big 2 story hutch on our back screened room, approximately 400 sf. She loves it out there. We have the heat deflecting blinds on the side walls. She isn't keep in the hutch, she can come & go as she pleases. However, it gets very warm out there. The floor is concrete and I have fan out there. There have been times when I thought it was too hot out there for her and when I've attempted to get her back inside she has run from me, will thump & appears to want to stay out there. I've the left the door open to the house and walked away...
I don't understand why she is so stubborn on staying out there. Any advice?

Glad that this question was asked... I live in central Florida. I have a Holland lop she is free roaming (house has been bunny proofed) we have a big 2 story hutch on our back screened room, approximately 400 sf. She loves it out there. We have the heat deflecting blinds on the side walls. She isn't keep in the hutch, she can come & go as she pleases. However, it gets very warm out there. The floor is concrete and I have fan out there. There have been times when I thought it was too hot out there for her and when I've attempted to get her back inside she has run from me, will thump & appears to want to stay out there. I've the left the door open to the house and walked away...
I don't understand why she is so stubborn on staying out there. Any advice?
Must get boiling hot there, you have my sympathy. I hate the heat, I worry so much about heatstroke. It's 22 Celsius in London and that's hot enough for me! What is the floor like in your house? They tend not to want to go on slippery floor (and it's not good for them). If the floor is OK, then maybe try feeding her inside the house?

Our Texas summers usually get into the 90’s F so I expect Florida is about the same. If your rabbit gets too hot I expect she’ll come inside.

The ceramic tiles can be put in the frig but we found they tend to stay cool enough in the shade outside. Ice cubes in the water bowl can help but they melt pretty quick. Wetting the ears with a cool damp cloth helps rabbits keep cooled down also.

I am in the UK yes it’s hot here 20+

20C is just 68 F. o_O

Funny. I see UK sites all saying that anything over 21C (69.9F) is getting too hot for a rabbit.

But the US sites say anything up to 78F (25.5C) is fine, but is dangerous over 80- 85F (29C).

I just can't imagine 70F being considered hot by any stretch... 🤔 maybe it's a matter of perspective. ;)

:cool: As kids, it had to be over 85F before we were allowed to go swimming. :cool:

The inside of our house in mid-summer is kept at a "cool" 82F (28C) which seems perfectly fine for us and for our rabbits. If the indoors creeps up to 85F (30C), then I put a frozen water bottle in the rabbit cage. It tends to creep up to 85F even with A/C when our outdoors temps are staying at 110F.

Texas and Florida definitely get over 90 in summers, so extra steps need to be taken to keep outdoor rabbits cool (as @majorv suggests). I honestly can't imagine an outdoor rabbit getting too hot when it is only in the 70s (21-26C). :confused:

Good idea for the bottled water! I'll have to try it out this summer. Weather claims this year will be one of the hottest for California and it'll be good to prepare soon.
Hi, where in California are you? I am possibly moving there next year from Maryland. My buns live inside right now with controlled temp from 61- 69 degrees, and I am really worried about them living outside.

Latest posts

Back