Keeping mom and daughter together

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone , I kept one of my females rabbits daughters and at the moment they seem very happy with each others company. Would it be okay to keep mom and daughter together or will she try to attack her eventually when she gets pregnant again ? They have a 8 foot by 9foot space together at the moment. We did make another level for daughter if needed but they seem happy together
Thank you

That's how I keep my does. I do not keep single rabbits, there are just so many benefits in keeping them in pairs. For me, mother -daughter pairs proofed to be the most easy way to do it.

I keep my doelings with mom for about 5-6 months, when I need a replacement I keep the one that get's along with mom best and fits my expectations. Works great for 10 years now.
There is no issue if one has a litter. The other doe always became a great stepmom once the kits got mobile. Only issues occured when they had litters weeks apart, the older kits getting into the other nest. Can be addressed by hutch design, selective barriers and such.

Each of my pairs has 2 hutches, connected with a tunnel. Making their space so that it can be easily temporarily divided helps a lot, to give the doe privacy and direct her to the right nestbox. It isn't really needed to seperate them when one gives birth since the other one keeps away anyway, somewhat confused about what's going on, me think.

I'm a stout advocate for keeping does in pairs, just watching them interact, cooperating and enjoying each others company (at times) makes most of my joy of keeping rabbits. They do work together, like when keeping lookout on the meadow, or grooming off ticks. It makes life easier too, I only have to convince one to go home - the other will follow.

I'm even pretty sure one of the stepmoms started to lactate once the kits got mobile and tried, but that sure is a freak occurance.

Attachments

• Schwarze und Rote.JPG
    Schwarze und Rote.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Ruth and Chantal.jpg
    Ruth and Chantal.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
That's how I keep my does. I do not keep single rabbits, there are just so many benefits in keeping them in pairs. For me, mother -daughter pairs proofed to be the most easy way to do it.

I keep my doelings with mom for about 5-6 months, when I need a replacement I keep the one that get's along with mom best and fits my expectations. Works great for 10 years now.
There is no issue if one has a litter. The other doe always became a great stepmom once the kits got mobile. Only issues occured when they had litters weeks apart, the older kits getting into the other nest. Can be addressed by hutch design, selective barriers and such.

Each of my pairs has 2 hutches, connected with a tunnel. Making their space so that it can be easily temporarily divided helps a lot, to give the doe privacy and direct her to the right nestbox. It isn't really needed to seperate them when one gives birth since the other one keeps away anyway, somewhat confused about what's going on, me think.

I'm a stout advocate for keeping does in pairs, just watching them interact, cooperating and enjoying each others company (at times) makes most of my joy of keeping rabbits. They do work together, like when keeping lookout on the meadow, or grooming off ticks. It makes life easier too, I only have to convince one to go home - the other will follow.

I'm even pretty sure one of the stepmoms started to lactate once the kits got mobile and tried, but that sure is a freak occurance.

Awh! That’s adorable! Thank you so much for the advice! Momma and daughter definitely seem happy together so I don’t want to ruin that by separating if it’s not needed. It’s so cute watching them cuddle and groom each other! I’m hoping they will continue to be happy together even when they have more litters.

Latest posts

Back