Keeping hay off the floor

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theevenstarlight

Reaction score
How does everyone keep hay off their floor? When it does get on the floor, what do you use to clean it up? A carpet sweeper, vacuum without a hose (it clogs my vacuum hose!)? Any help is appreciated!

We use the Sears Craftsman Wet/Dry Vac (think Shop Vac). It doesn't fluff up the carpet like a regular vacuum, but it sucks up EVERYTHING and doesn't clog. And both rabbits like to sit behind it and let the exhaust blow on them. :)

For fast pick-up and/or to get into smaller spaces (like cages) I use a Sanitaire canister.
http://www.sanitairevac.com/commercial/products/specialty/sc3683.jsp

For regular carpet cleaning we use the Sanitaire upright.

well i have hardwood, so all i need to do is sweep it up with a hand broom andpan. its real simple:brownbunny

0301853.jpg

Oh the many hours we've spent digging hay out of the vacuum cleaner hose... =P

It helps to use a dustpan and brush first, to get up the majority of it, and then the loose tiny bits shouldn't block the hose really.

Ikeep my hay in th boxes it comes in by my back deck in the dining room. Unde the boxes I have an old quilt. I transport the hay in a covered cat litter box (used only for this puropse) and then fold up the quilt, take it outside and shake it or hang it on the back deck rail to air out.

delusional wrote:
Oh the many hours we've spent digging hay out of the vacuum cleaner hose... =P

It helps to use a dustpan and brush first, to get up the majority of it, and then the loose tiny bits shouldn't block the hose really.

:yeahthat:

I too, learned the hard way. Bunny owner rule # 242: Don't try to vacuum all the hay off the floor. Sweep first. :p

I have a bunny-worn carpet in Anna and Yofi's room, and it is constantly getting covered in hay. I tried hay racks in their cages...they'd either pull the racks down or, if I tied the racks to the cages and they couldn't do that, then they'd just not bother with the hay in them. I tried a plastic bin filled with hay placed on the floor in the room...it first became a litter box, then it's contents were strewn everywhere. I tried an old Kleenex box stuffed with hay...box got eaten, hay ignored. So the end result is, every day I wind up sweeping hay out of the cages and off the carpet. (And I'm still on a quest to find a hay container the rabbits won't knock over, pee in, or plain ignore.) But for cleanup, I just use a regular broom and dustpan on the carpet, and then once I've removed as much as I could, I get the vacuum out and pick up all the *hay crumbs*.

However, my vacuum cleaner(s) have taken a beating. I'm on probably my fifth vacuum in the past 10 years (not only is hay bad for vacuums, but they don't stand up well to tons of dog/cat hair over the long-term either, I find). My dream is to some day own a Dyson...:?

Are Dysons really good? I was looking at one that was supposed to be good for pet hair. I couldn't buy it then, but I was thinking about saving up my money and then when my present vacuum dies I might get that one!

timetowaste wrote:
we have a roomba :) one of those scheduled robots to clean the house. that thing rules. it even goes around nemo's cage to get excess hay.
oohh i always wondered about those things, they dont look like they would hold much. I thought about getting one but i know if i did the kids would play with it, and the dogs would probablly chase it,lol

I have a windtunnel by Hoover, and I've only clogged it once or twice. The path the dirt travels is fairly short and doesn't really have any pinch points. Here's a link the exact model I have: http://www.hoover.com/product.aspx?model=U5760900&ds=false#

I tried a hoover empower, but it had a pinchpoint near the beginning of the dirt path and I had to unclog it all the time.

I find if I pick up the long pieces of timothy hay, jus the really hard ones, I can vacuum up all the rest of the hay. If it's grass hay on the floor, as long as the stocks are nice and soft, I can vacuum with out doing a pick up.

I absolutly love my vacuum. I've had it since February 2007 and not had a problem. I even found replacement filters on Ebay for really cheap.

--Dawn

theicequeen99121 wrote:
timetowaste wrote:
we have a roomba :) one of those scheduled robots to clean the house. that thing rules. it even goes around nemo's cage to get excess hay.
oohh i always wondered about those things, they dont look like they would hold much. I thought about getting one but i know if i did the kids would play with it, and the dogs would probablly chase it,lol
They aren't very good with lots of fur. We broke ours :pit lasted less than a year inn our house since we have 2 dogs and a cat who shed all over the place...

Has anyone tried vacuuming up bunny poo? Does it work? I've always been too scared and pick it all up first :p

When cleaning cage, I used to use a vacuum, then hubby got me a ShopVac, so I vacuum most up with that. But, I scoop most of it up with my bare hands first:p. Rest with ShopVac, although, I have already clogged that, the hay will clog it:shock:. So, while it's a great vacuum, scooping up most of it with your hands is best, even poos.;) Poos will not harm any vacuum though, it's the hair and mostly the hay.:grumpy:

Mostly the reason for the hay to vacuum or pick up, is because Snuff likes his cage messy. At the present, I put a pile of hay for him in his litterbox, lots of times, he picks it up with his mouth and puts it on the floor. Along with poo, and his shedding:rollseyes. Makes for messy pickup.;)

Latest posts

Back