Keeping glands clean?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMadMarchHare

Reaction score
My 2.5 year old neutered Lionhead/Lop mix has been getting a very messy back end lately...I have had the chance to look, and it's buildup from his glands. He has some fuzz back there, so I know this could be contributing, but the extreme buildup has only been going on for a couple of months.

He does not like being handled in general, so I brush the gunk off when I can, but it is difficult to get to. His poops are fine, diet and environment are the same. He is healthy with the exception of serious teeth overgrowth, for which he gets routine trimming about every 3 months or so.

He is also white, so the buildup is not hard to miss when he hops around...

Advice? Ideas on why this is just starting to happen and why there's so much?
Is there something I can do for him aside from simply brushing it out, like a supplement perhaps?

Thanks.

are you sure its the glands making a mess? they don't usually make a mess of the back end.
Rabbits should be good to clean their own. He may be overweight.
How much hay is he eating? Diet being the "Same" doesn't tell us a whole lot either.

are you sure its the glands making a mess? they don't usually make a mess of the back end.
Rabbits should be good to clean their own. He may be overweight.
How much hay is he eating? Diet being the "Same" doesn't tell us a whole lot either.

The vet says he is at perfect weight - not chunky, and not bony.
His diet consists of mostly Timothy hay, 1/4 cup of pellets per day, two handfuls of fresh leafy green variety per day, and the very occasional fruit or veggie treat.

EDIT: His hay is open, so I do not have a measurement of that...I give him fresh hay every day, and he eats most of it...some he flattens and sits on.
I clean his cage every day, litter box every other day.

Saw his vet today again, and looks like he will need all incisors extracted...this is probably the cause for everything else, including his lack of cleaning himself :p

Latest posts

Back