Keeping cool in the Summer?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sav

Reaction score
Hi all!

Summer heat has just kicked in here, and I’ve been searching tirelessly for a lasting way to keep my buns cool in the summer heat. They’re all in 4.5 ft x 2 ft cages, one side of which is the nest box, and the other side, as well as the front is wire, so they get pretty good circulation. Currently, the main things I’ve been doing for the heat is ceramic tiles, as well as refreshing water bottles whenever I can. However, I’m still not sure this is enough?

I’ve debated doing frozen bottles for them to lay against (as this was what I did last year), and still do that on the weekends. However, the issue that arises is that during the weekdays, I work 10 hours, the frozen bottles last maybe 2-4 hours, and usually melt before the highest temps of the day. On the weekends, I can swap them out, but on weekdays, they seem useless.

I would love to use fans, but would like smaller individual ones that can latch onto the wire. Box fans/ larger ones fail to reach buns in the higher tier of the hutch. I’ve been able to find one (“Crate Cooler”), but the reviews are all back and forth on the battery life. I’ve also looked back and forth at solar fans, as that would be ideal, but any that I manage to find won’t clip on their cage without the additional step of cutting the wire and exposing the bun to the fan itself.

Is there any long lasting fix that any of you have found that works? Or perhaps any products that I’ve yet to come across?

I've found that tiles tend to stay cool and offer the bunny a colder surface to lay down on

Reactions: Sav
Well my bunny hates the frozen bottle idk why buy he likes the stone floor
more he sleeps their a lot, it may not be tiles but it was still cold.

Our cages were close to the house so we were able to run extension cords to them for fans. The one battery powered fan we tried just didn’t put out enough air and had to constantly change the batteries. What helped us was to build a roof above the cages and line it with strips of insulation. It brought the temps underneath down by 2-3 degrees.

Latest posts

Back