Keep ticks away

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermelin

Reaction score
Hi

I wonder if there’s a way to keep ticks away from my outdoor bunnies. Because it doesn’t exist any tick prevention for bunnies in store like there are for cats and dogs.

I always feel my bunnies and watch for ticks everyday but would like a better way. That could help my bunnies with keeping the ticks away.

What smells does ticks not like, can I do some home remedies and put it on their fur or let them eat something.

Don’t really now if bunnies also can get the same sickness human can get from ticks or it’s only humans. Because I live in an area with ticks that spread diseases. My brother have once been sick by ticks and it took him a year to recover.

So it’s a bit worried with the ticks.

I don't know what keeps them away, but I thought I'd share an experience we had.

We had gone to a cabin in the woods once and brought our dog and our rabbits. The dog got tons of ticks from the woods. We gave him a tick bath before we left the area but on our return home, we soon (within a few days) found that he still had ticks - ugh!

My worry was that the dog and the rabbits both shared the same area downstairs (all carpeted) -- so I assumed there was no way the rabbits were spared from the ticks.

We had to arrange to have the dog get dipped at the vet while simultaneously having the house tick bombed. (moved the rabbits out for that)

When I spoke with our rabbit vet, he said that ticks can be species-specific. That the ticks that like dogs may not bother the rabbits. He was correct. The rabbits never had a single tick!

I don't know if that helps or not, or what kind of ticks you have in your area, but maybe, if you haven't had issues yet, then the rabbit-loving ticks aren't around?

My bunnies will always have ticks, I find at least one every day on different bunnies.

So I know I have ticks that love my bunnies. I try to keep them away from the woods and they don’t have that much grass in the pen.

But I often let my bunnies run in harness and one of them can run lose. Feel bad to restrict them when there’s a lot of greens to eat and playing around.

Myself can’t spend that much time outside because my allergic have kicked in and it will only get worse during the summer time (season of grass pollen). So I try to spend less time outside but the time I spend outside I use it with my bunnies. And they love running around.

I also have other animals walking close their encloser during night. So ticks can easily travel back to the yard.

I know ticks dosen’t like some smells, for example all blood sucking insects love my little brother more than me. So I have always been more safe, as long I had my brother near by.

So I’m thinking maybe I can do something for my bunnies, to at least make less ticks being attracted to them.

IMG_5458.jpg

Latest posts

Back