Keep Naomi in Your Prayers

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBabyBunnies

Reaction score
Naomi has been oddly quiet for a few days but I didn't think too much of it, she's been eating fine and just as spunky when it came to treat time. This morning I woke up and Naomi has a slight head tilt.

I took the afternoon off work and rushed her to a vet (new vet for me but I am sticking with this vet, she is awesome!). They got her in right away and there are a few possibilities. She thinks it could just be an ear infection so she gave me antibiotics and told me to come back on Saturday. If there is no improvement she will run a blood panel to look for EC.

Keep your fingers crossed its just an ear infection...

She is eating ok but not as much as before. She seems to be pooping and peeing fine. The poor girl. She has no balance. I think I am going to have to change out her litterboxes because she falls everytime she tries to jump into them.

I took her to Dr. Steele.

MyBabyBunnies wrote:
Novo-trimel

That's the Canadian version of Bactrim.

If you've started it, give it for the duration, I don't think you want to start and stop any antibiotic early, it exacerbates the resistance problems, but you may want something more aggressive, like Bicillin.

Hope she's better very soon!

sas :purplepansy:

MyBabyBunnies wrote:
I took her to Dr. Steele.
Dr. Steeletreated Pebbles when she had sneezing and head tilt problems. We had a culture done when regular antibiotics failed. Dr. Steele is very good with the follow ups.

I really like her approach. And I like how she brings up her rabbit in the exam. Somehow knowing they have the same type of animal is reassuring. And I thought it was Dr. Steele that treated Pebbles, and I figured I would try a new vet although at the time I just called and asked if anyone could see Nao today. I REALLY like that her follow up exam is free. And I really like how she makes the extra effort to squeeze you in to fit your needs.

I just find it so hard to see Naomi like this, she is moving okay but she looks so off balance. I had to remove some of the toys and the litter boxes from their pen and put in low trays so she doesn't hurt herself. I'm praying for a better morning, I can't stand seeing her like this. :(

The first 24-48 hours should show if the antibiotics are working. Pebbles improved within the first day of her medication and over the 2 weeks she got better and better.

Ah Laura, I'm sorry to hear about Naomi.

I will keep her in my prayers for a speedy recovery. She certainly couldn't ask for a better Mommie to take care of her.

Susan:(

Her head is worse. Yesterday she could still straighten it, today its 'stuck'. But her eyes don't seem to be moving as rapidly up and down and I'm hoping that's a good sign. Her balance is crap but she can still move.

She isn't eating much but she must be drinking because her coat still feels good (I know what a dehydrated bunny feels like). I'm going to syringe a bit to her tonight and pray she starts to feel better.

Pipp, I am going to ask if we can try bicillin on Saturday but I didn't want to ask about it yesterday because I didn't know much about it besides the name and the effective in treating absesses. I'm going to go Saturday armed with information and beg her to let me try it.

One question, is bicillin only safe in the injectible form?

Poor Naomi. :cry2

Good that the rapid eye movement is less intense. Is her balance due to staggering, andcircling or is she fallingand rolling down? How tilted is her head ... 1 o'clock, 2 o'clock?

I would worry about the loss of appetite. Feed plenty of fresh greens soaked in water, and keep her warm.

Dr. Steelehas her reasons for prescribingthe different medications. She is very open and will discuss the different treatments. She knew about Zithromax (ra7751 - Randy's suggestion) when I approached her about using it for Pebbles sneezing. However she convinced me it can be used after a culture test andif aggressive treatment is needed.

Local breeders from town, have treated Head Tilt with injections of Ivermectin and Bytril, with success to save their favorite bunnies.

Her head is at 2 o'clock.

She's not rolling except when she moves too suddenly or when I put her down after giving her medicine. It's heart breaking to see her like this.

I've been sitting out her for 45 minutes just watching and while she is not herself, she nibbled occasionally on food, she does lay in her stretched out relaxed position. She even did a lap around her run, only losing balance when she started to move. Ironically she went the opposite way I thought she would. Animals typically turn the direction their heads point, she went the opposite way.

Latest posts

Back