Kaytee Brand Food

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyHunny17

Reaction score
Hi everyone!! I think I might've messed up and would appreciate any input. So we're adopting our rabbit, Flower, tomorrow and I bought all of her food and stuff today. I bought her Kaytee brand Timothy hay, Kaytee brand "Food from the Wild" foraging blend pellets (Timmy hay based and has rose petals, marigold, carrot, and spinach)

I've just heard some information that Kaytee is NOT a good brand and I'm wondering if that's true or just brand preference. I'm a little freaked out and might take back the food tomorrow morning and buy Oxbow brand stuff for her.
Any input would be greatly appreciated!!
I also bought her Kaytee brand "Healthy Bits Treats" which I have come to realize is not at all healthy for her. I halfway opened the package so I can't take them back, but we're not huge on marketed treats so I wasn't planning giving her more than half a ball every now and again, so I think that'll be fine for her.

Attachments

• 15945321127483032531451673156894.jpg
    15945321127483032531451673156894.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 10
Glad you realized that before you got your rabbit. Be sure that tomorrow they give you some of the pellet food that your rabbit is currently used to. She should not be switched to a new type or brand for the first week (or two). Best to let her settle in before changing her food. When you do change it, be sure to transition by mixing the old with the new.

Here's a link with some options on pellet brands and what to look for in a pellet food. It also explains how to transition safely. Purina and Manna Pro have high protein amounts suitable for breeding or outdoor rabbits. Indoor and fixed rabbits do better with lower protein levels.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/pellet-food.html

Glad you realized that before you got your rabbit. Be sure that they give you some of the pellet food that your rabbit is currenlty used to. She should not be switched to a new type or brand for the first week (or two). Best to let her settle in before changing her food. When you do change it, be sure to transition by mixing the old with the new.

Here's a link with some options on pellet brands and what to look for in a pellet food. It also explains how to transition safely. Purina and Manna Pro have high protein amounts suitable for breeding or outdoor rabbits. Indoor and fixed rabbits do better with lower protein levels.
We were definitely planning on slowly transitioning her to the new food. She will be an indoor pet rabbit and she'll be spayed, so I'll look into the lower protein options, thank you!

I have only used Kaytee Timothy Complete brand and my bun is 12 yrs old. I do not use the ones with added flowers or veggies, seeds or anything else. Mine were never neutered so they needed the extra nutrition, I feel. Not neutering was out of fear since they were older and the price was pretty high. Pellets is to be complemented by greens and hay anyway. I have compared Timothy Complete with other brand's ingredients and it is comparable or better. My bunny just doesn't like the other pellets, I have tried mixing others with his current pellets and he always left them in the bowl and ate around. Waste of money and food. No matter how great the brand you buy is, it all comes down to taste and preference. I have also bought different hays and ended up using them for litter. Will only eat orchard grass. Good luck!

Glad you realized that before you got your rabbit. Be sure that tomorrow they give you some of the pellet food that your rabbit is currently used to. She should not be switched to a new type or brand for the first week (or two). Best to let her settle in before changing her food. When you do change it, be sure to transition by mixing the old with the new.

Interesting how you get different greens recommendations amount in different sites! Anywhere from one cup to 4 cups! In my case, I had to adjust it to the individual rabbits' needs. Too much greens in the senior bun increases the poopy butt.

kaytee isn't a great brand i wouldn't suggest their plain pellets either! i try to not support them in general with anything just bc of how bad they are.
pellet brands i DO suggest are:
oxbow
supreme science selective
sherwood
small pet select
or mazuri
just do some research before making a final decision! my personal favorite is oxbow but supreme science selective is very good as well i hear, it just recently was made available where i live

My bunny, Daisy a holland lop has been on Oxbow pellets & hay since I got her as a baby. She is now 2 & has done very well on it.

kaytee isn't a great brand i wouldn't suggest their plain pellets either! i try to not support them in general with anything just bc of how bad they are.
pellet brands i DO suggest are:
oxbow
supreme science selective
sherwood
small pet select
or mazuri
just do some research before making a final decision! my personal favorite is oxbow but supreme science selective is very good as well i hear, it just recently was made available where i live
I wish you would give specifics on why "they are bad". Is the company unworthy of trust or is it the product manufacturing? It is very subjective otherwise. No matter how selective we think a brand is, it comes down to bunny's taste buds. I tried at least 3 of the ones you mentioned and he refused to eat them each time. The only item in Kaytee that I fully like, as I agree that they have a lot of junk food, is the Timothy Complete. I compared the ingredients and nutrition description as it was comparable or better in some cases. The added enzymes and probiotics also appeared comparable. In the end, I would take the well being of my bunny over any negative feelings I have over Kaytee's other products. In 15+ years of using TC, I only have had 3 bad bags.

Interesting how you get different greens recommendations amount in different sites! Anywhere from one cup to 4 cups! In my case, I had to adjust it to the individual rabbits' needs. Too much greens in the senior bun increases the poopy butt.

Feeding rabbits is not rocket science, they can thrive on many different diets. "That pellets, that amount, that%" and so on reflects one experience, and a lot of hearsay. Also, "that many cups of greens", is only one opinion, one set of diet instructions that works well for somebun. My rabbits get 95% unlimited green forage whenever available, for example. Not doable for many pet owners. And, in other places, there are valid arguments against that kind of feeding.

Anyway, there are ways to feed rabbits bad, a lot of those. Read up, but trust your own judgement. Watch out for any signs of problems and adjust. The most common problem with pet rabbits seems to be that the food is too rich, just be aware that they evolved on a rather meager, diverse diet with lots of fiber.

I wish you would give specifics on why "they are bad". Is the company unworthy of trust or is it the product manufacturing? It is very subjective otherwise. No matter how selective we think a brand is, it comes down to bunny's taste buds. I tried at least 3 of the ones you mentioned and he refused to eat them each time. The only item in Kaytee that I fully like, as I agree that they have a lot of junk food, is the Timothy Complete. I compared the ingredients and nutrition description as it was comparable or better in some cases. The added enzymes and probiotics also appeared comparable. In the end, I would take the well being of my bunny over any negative feelings I have over Kaytee's other products. In 15+ years of using TC, I only have had 3 bad bags.
i just mean the brand isn't one i think people should support, they do not have the well being of animals in mind at all when designing their products. obviously if your bunny prefers the timothy complete and doesn't want to eat another one then it is an OK pellet to feed, but i feel there is better

Here is one of many sites with their own preferences. It would be nice if we could find a site that sold sample boxes of different brands so we could test them on bunnies prior to committing to one. In the end, for some, it comes down to adequate nutrition for a good price since pellets are not to be the main food and we can supplement anything we feel is missing. 8 Best Rabbit Food & Pellets (2020 Updated) So, I don't feed my 6 and 12 yr old number one choice but is not the worse and every bunny find them the most palatable. I am sure we all have had countless of experiences with items sold for our furry loved ones, we have to find what we can live with, what we can afford, and what is available. There was a UK brand that I wish I could find here in sample form, but maybe next time I visit my family there... I forgot! Some vets have different varieties in their practice and can supply you with baggies of sample pellets for a nominal cost or free.

No matter how selective we think a brand is, it comes down to bunny's taste buds. I tried at least 3 of the ones you mentioned and he refused to eat them each time. The only item in Kaytee that I fully like, as I agree that they have a lot of junk food, is the Timothy Complete. In 15+ years of using TC, I only have had 3 bad bags.

It is quite common for a rabbit to refuse a new pellet food -- any new pellet food. That is why it is recommended to transition by mixing foods and gradually get them used to it. If you just tried offering a different type without doing the mixing of the pellet brands over a couple week period, it is not at all surprising that a rabbit would refuse it.

I came on here to post the link to the food comparison chart. (It lists many of the Kaytee lines as well.) But as I was typing, @nat1234 posted that link. :)

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp
feel free to refer to this when making a final decision, best of luck
That is a good one to bookmark and keep in this group as reference. Wow on the 3to5% oil! Others suggest much lower. But UK has had more experience with rabbit husbandry and they are a good source of information. They also tend to be oriented towards show animals so the nutrients preferred might be because of that. Good one!

8 Best Rabbit Food & Pellets (2020 Updated) Some vets have different varieties in their practice and can supply you with baggies of sample pellets for a nominal cost or free.

I believe Sherwood (top 2 options on your link) offers samples.

That is an interesting list with some good pellet brand options. They should have kept it to the "6 Best." The last 2 don't even deserve to be mentioned. :( They have more cons than pros. They have mixed extras in there (muesli style) that they admit are not recommended by most vets.

It is quite common for a rabbit to refuse a new pellet food -- any new pellet food. That is why it is recommended to transition by mixing foods and gradually get them used to it. If you just tried offering a different type without doing the mixing of the pellet brands over a couple week period, it is not at all surprising that a rabbit would refuse it.

I came on here to post the link to the food comparison chart. (It lists many of the Kaytee lines as well.) But as I was typing, @nat1234 posted that link. :)
Yeah, I tried the mixing. Let's say for fun 10 pellets of the new one vs 40 of the old one. 10 pellets were still in the bowl the next day. and the next...TG my vet had given me 3 baggies of different brands to try so no big expense. Funny how it does not work like that with greens! The first time ever I offered carrot greens and celery, I almost lost my fingers! Like he had been waiting all his life for me to finally buy them. What gives? Both my bunnies despise basil.

We're using the forage mix to see how she does and doing the transition, she seems to like it alright, and her poops have been good so I think it's okay

Yeah, I tried the mixing. Let's say for fun 10 pellets of the new one vs 40 of the old one. 10 pellets were still in the bowl the next day. and the next...TG my vet had given me 3 baggies of different brands to try so no big expense. Funny how it does not work like that with greens! The first time ever I offered carrot greens and celery, I almost lost my fingers! Like he had been waiting all his life for me to finally buy them. What gives? Both my bunnies despise basil.
Her previous owners says she LIVES for Italian parsley.
But she seems to be eating the new food just fine, so I think she's doing alright :)

Latest posts

Back