Just spayed, not eating, diarrhoea (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bababbit

Reaction score
She was spayed yesterday, she won't eat anything. She was syringe fed some critical care but now she has smelly diarrhoea. She's clearly in pain but can't give the pain killers without food. She is covered in poop and looks so sad. Has anyone else experienced this? She's going to the vet tomorrow morning but I'm worried.

Awe poor baby. I know I got my bunny spayed at 4 years old. and the recovery period was REALLY stressful, we’re talking not eating, not pooping for the first 48 hours but with force feeding critical care, patience, and prayer we made it through it. I bet your vet will be able to help y’all. My prayers are with you and your bunny. God bless you

If she has true diarrhea where it's not just the cecotropes that are mushy but that the fecal poop is too, with no normal fecal balls, that is considered an emergency and you need to get your rabbit to the vet immediately! Your rabbit could have something called enterotoxemia caused by the clostridium bacteria. This is immediately life threatening and can be fatal very quickly.

Enterotoxemia is usually treated with metronidazole and cholestyramine(Questran), along with fluids, and possibily some other meds. It's extremely important that the cholestyramine is started immediately as it helps protect the digestive tract from the harmful toxins released by the bacteria.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html
Medirabbit: bacterial enteritis

http://rabbitvet.net/AustralianRabbitVets.htm

It can be a side effect of a non rabbit safe antibiotic(eg. penicillin given orally), or a side effect of an antibiotic or mediction that your rabbit might be sensitive to. True diarrhea from enterotoxemia is not to be confused with a lesser condition of just mushy cecotropes, which isn't usually life threatening. Enterotoxemia is browm watery or pudding like diarrhea, where the fecal balls are affected, and this will often be life threatening.

Not to say for sure your rabbit has this. It could just be a side effect from the spay drugs given, and if is minor mushy poop, may be temporary. But any time a rabbit shows with true diarrhea, I always urge on the side of caution and immediate treatment because of how quickly it can become fatal. Cholestyramine is proven to be the greatest defense against enterotoxemia becoming fatal.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/exot...its/bacterial-and-mycotic-diseases-of-rabbits
Medirabbit: treatment for life threatening antibiotics

I wish I could have taken her yesterday, unfortunately it was a public holiday. She has true diarrhoea, it is a formless puddle. When initially brought home there was no poop, the diarrhoea started after feeding critical care. I thought it was caused by making the critical care too thin, but even after correcting that the diarrhoea continued. Is it possible it's just caused by consuming water without much food?

Oh god... She's passed away in the night. RIP little angel. I wish I could have taken her yesterday... Why would this happen with such a routine surgery 😢

I'm so very sorry. It wouldn't have been caused by the critical care unless something was wrong with the bag you got, or by water unless there was something off with the water.

I would suspect it was more likely due to a negative reaction from a medication from the surgery. It would be extremely uncommon to occur, but some rabbits can have very negative reactions to medications that would otherwise be considered safe for rabbits.

The only other possibility that I can think is if your vet isn't rabbit experienced and gave an improper medication that isn't safe for rabbits. But you would need to find out what drugs/meds were given for the surgery and after, to know if this was the case. Something like the administration of oral amoxicillin would be one of the more common non rabbit safe medications given by vets not experienced and knowledgeable about rabbits, and this antibiotic given orally can cause enterotoxemia to occur.

I didn't really suspect the critical care, probably just coincidence. The vet seemed rabbit saavy but I'm not 100% on that. I'll have to look into it. I was given Meloxicam to take home, I'll see what the paperwork says.

Oh god... She's passed away in the night. RIP little angel. I wish I could have taken her yesterday... Why would this happen with such a routine surgery 😢
I’m so sorry for your loss. Unfortunately I know how you feel. We lost our first rabbit after he went under anesthesia to be neutered. While they did not go through with the procedure because his heart rate became erratic when we brought him home he passed the next day on the way back to the vet. He also had watery diarrhea nothing to do with critical care his heart basically burst there was nothing we could have done to save him.

Latest posts

Back