Just doesnt feel right

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had a dozen gerbils over the years and they make great pets. I would absolutely recommend getting a pair though as they really need to be in groups (and getting them as a pair when they're babies will save you having to bond them later; bonding as adults is similar to bunnies but doesn't take as long). Gerbils are really wonderful, though I'm on my last one because I just don't want any more pets that only live 3-5 years. But I might break down and get more in a few years anyway ;-)

Hamsters are cute, but they tend to sleep all day. Gerbils are more crepuscular like bunnies, so they tend to be awake when you're home. Love gerbils :) Most don't mind being held, and I've had a few super friendly ones. One would curl up against me on the couch and sleep while I watched tv!

I love gerbils. Mine are so fun and they are the easiest pets! My two love to beg crave attention. :) They are also so easy to take care of and don't need their tank cleaned weekly! I do mine about every 4 weeks. :) As for monthly costs? I probably spend at most $3-5 a month for food and bedding. But I get my aspen bedding fairly cheap so it's nice. :)

See, I still hold my dwarf for at least 5 min a day, but she's just gotten grumpy as she aged I guess.

My hamster watches TV wih me. I had once once I could let sit on the couch and he would just sit next to me and chill. I forgot hi once, came back ot my apartment and he was asleep where I left him. Hamsters are great, just look around at seeal till you find one that IKEs to be handled at first. It can be jumpy, but not too fearlful or one that bites.

Luluznewz wrote:
I did a lot of research on small animals before getting a rabbit. I was set on rats for a really long time. Don't just immediately say they are gross, because really they just freak some people out. They are (in my opinion) as clean, if not cleaner than rabbits. Also, they are more easily social with people and way less skittish. Plus they like to be held... They are still work, but their cage can be smaller than rabbits. Other than that they are quite similar with stuff like bedding, fresh water, food daily (different food though). They need to come out of their cage daily and MUST MUST MUST be kept in pairs at least. They are extremely social and cant be kept alone.
I agree! I have 8 pet rats and they are A LOT of work, let me tell you!! They are pretty expensive to keep, too. Rats are very demanding pets. If you aren't fortunate to have medications always on hand for URI's, then you will be shelling out possibly hundreds (some people have spent thousands) at the vet over the course of their small lives. Rats only live to be 2 years, really. Their life spans vary greatly, in all honesty. My youngest rescue was 8 weeks when he passed away and my oldest will be a bit over 3 years. I consider myself very lucky that my oldest rat is a tad over 3 years old...but he is on his very last legs now.

Don't get me wrong...I adore rats, but after my current crew of 8 passes away, I am taking a very long break. Rats are very emotionally tiring. Some people can handle it, some people cannot. I was one who could handle it...but now I am entering a phase in my life where I just can't do it anymore.

I *think* the next small pet I would like to try is Ferrets...not any time soon, honestly, as I am busy with rabbits/cats/dog/school soon/want to have a kid in a few years. BUT....I will foster for a rescue before I make the commitment. I don't want to make the mistake of thinking they are for me, and they end up not being my type of pet.

I highly suggest you try fostering for a rescue before adopting the next pet of your choice!

I personally vote for a cat, but in the UK they come and go inside and outside as they please, so they toilet outside, so all you have to do is feed them and play with them, but if may be different where you are that they can't go outside and so need a litter tray which would be more work. They are about 15 year commitment though so you have yo be sure!

I have to vote for a pair of guinea pigs :biggrin2: However, They do require a good amount of work.

No one has mentioned this but what about fish? I have fish and think of them as my wet pets if you will. Especially the larger fish like goldfish learn to recognize you and many will eat from your hand. It's pretty cool and once you learn to keep your water happy it doesn't require a ton of time.

I, personally, decided a while back I would never have another hamster. Mine was great and lived a good little while. But all of my brother's died early, which can be tough. Plus they slept all day lol Then he got a gerbil, which I didn't really like. I think it might have been because it would jump and that probably scared me. But then he got a rat, best decision he ever made! At first I was uneasy about it, but I definitely warmed up to him. They really are great animals once you get to know them :)

Before rabbits I did have a piggie. I loved him and he was very sweet with me. But yes, they are messy. I'd like to have one again, but after having my bunnies I don't know if I would deal with an animal that isn't litter trained LOL Do guineas usually just get along or do they have to be bonded, like rabbits?

I think i am going to get 2 guinea pigs, i have a pic of one of them. They are both girls. The one not pictures is pure white with blue/dark eyes with the calick(bed head) fur and then well the picture says it all for the other one. The white one if 6 months and the other is like 6 weeks.
I am thinking about naming them after fruit or berries :)

guineababy.jpg

Ill get picks of the white one to you, if i can.

What do you think? I will get a big cage and supplies with the white one by the way.

OMG! How cute can you get???? :biggrin2:What a precious little thing she is, can't wait to see the other one.

Most females will get along (although not all) With males its better if you can get two youngsters, two that may be older but already live together, or an adult will many times accept a young male.

Guinea pigs are herd animals so they are most comfortable with the company of another guinea pig but they can and do live alone as well (some won't tolerate another pig living in the same cage but are perfectly happy being able to see another one close by)

OMG! That baby is adorable! Reminds me of the little babies piggies I had... Anyway, I have 2 pigs right now, but at one time I had 8. A ton of work! Their cages took up most of my bedroom. I had 7 males and 1 female. The female was in a cage by herself but right next to the males, two males were together in another one and the other 5 were all together in the 3rd cage. They eat tons of hay and veggies and you have to be sure to measure out their food or else they get obese really easily.

Piggies need alfalfa hay until about 6 months of age and then grass hay or timothy hay. For two piggies, you need 3 hidey houses and two water bottles so that they don't feel the need to fight over them. Mine have one large food bowl that they share though.

Guinea pigs don't always get along right away, but females are easier to bond than males. I used "buddy baths" for mine. You give them both a bath at the same time, towel dry them, then put them together in a neutral space. They'll probably rumble-strut to show who's boss and the older one might mount the baby, but unless blood is drawn, don't seperate them. Putting them together and going for a car ride also helps to bond them. They'll want to snuggle up to comfort each other.
Here's a link to a great guinea pig site. It's ultra-rescue friendly though and you have to be SUPER careful to not say anything that even hints that you support breeders or pet stores. It has some really amazing information on all things guinea pig though. http://guineapigcages.com/forum/index.php

Edit: I can't spell.:D

I usually name my piggies after candy! LOL! Hmmm... maybe something like Twix, Twixie, Trixie, Snicker, Hershey, Kisses, Kit Kat, Kitty...Oh! How about Mango! That's a cute name:) Or Honey! I can only think about candy bars right now because I just got candy for the trick-or-treaters tonight!

OMG she is so cute! I got a new guinea this week too and posted a pic of her she is a shorthair guinea. i think the pic of the one ur getting is a texal. I love texals but no one breeds them in my area. I also have 2 abysians female. I love guineas i hope u enjoy urs.

Just a thought here...
If you don't feel like you can handle another rabbit how is two new piggies better?
I've owned some before and found them to be just as much work as my rabbit.
In fact, I think rabbits and piggies are more difficult time consuming pets than cats and dogs. Or at least harder than my two dogs and cat.
:?

*sigh* if you have SOOO much money and time to spare foster! Craislist is not your friend and that guinea pig is not 6 weeks old if that is a recent picture, more like 2 weeks if that.

What is consistered a big cage? Pet store cages, even the new ones people are now posting about buying for their bunnies on here, is not near big enough for two guinea pigs. They need at least 10.5 feet, condos, shelves, ect do not count.

What bedding will you use? You should not use shavings/dust/pellets for guinea pigs, I suppose you can but it is not great. Fleece should be used, they rarely litter box train so the cage has to be cleaned of poop every night plus washed twice a week if you do mind smell.

What if they do not get along? Are you willing to get another cage with at least 7.5 feet? What if they do bond and then one becomes ill and dies are you ready fight to save the other if they become depreed and anorexic? I have lost a pair this way and it is horrible.

If you where wanting something that is less work you sure are going the wrong route. But the thing is what next? When does it stop? "Compulsive Shopper" comes to mind, sorry to say.

Hardly nothing is easier to care for if you care for it properly. Hamsters smell and are not people friendly unless raised by a proper breeder(I have 16 hamsters and all the adults are very friendly and all but one are campbells), fish are hard if you keep everything proper and you can lose them in the drop of a hat. I love fish but my tanks get covered in algea and it is so annoying scrubbing them all the time.

As I said before, just foster. Help a shelter insted of helping the BYB/irresponsible owners you find on craislist, ect.

Wow, You make it sound like keeping guinea pigs is so hard and not worth it. Yes, They are messy and yes they are as much work as a rabbit. But, They are definately worth it.

As far as fish go, I have several tanks and don't find it difficult in the least. I have had some of my fish for many years. Yes, I have lost some and most if not all have been due to my fault. You definately have to read up and learn how to keep them. And not be afraid of a little work doing water changes, etc.

If you don't want a pet that takes much time then maybe a stuffed animal would be more appropriate?

Latest posts

Back