Quantcast

Just curious bunny lover is my Netherland Dwarf a true or False dwarf

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

eliasjoy

Reaction score
Just wondering my Lola bunny seems a bit big but not that big she has the head of a true Netherland Dwarf but her body and her ears are kinda big I honestly don’t care as much if she isn’t she’s so adorable :D but It would hurt a little I got her about 1 week ago from a breeder she’s only 9weeks but please do let me know

Attachments

Last edited:

SableSteel

Reaction score
I'd guess false dwarf with those ears. Cute bunny. Breeding two true dwarfs together you usually get about 1/3 false dwarfs, and because a lot of the breeding stock, especially outside of show lines, isn't true dwarf that fraction is usually higher. (True dwarf x false dwarf = 50% true, 50% false)
Here was a true dwarf of mine at 7-8 weeks

Attachments

eliasjoy

Reaction score
I'd guess false dwarf with those ears. Cute bunny. Breeding two true dwarfs together you usually get about 1/3 false dwarfs, and because a lot of the breeding stock, especially outside of show lines, isn't true dwarf that fraction is usually higher. (True dwarf x false dwarf = 50% true, 50% false)
Here was a true dwarf of mine at 7-8 weeks
That help out a lot after seeing that image I definitely now know she isn’t a true ND thanks a ton

samoth

Reaction score
Anyone care to explain the difference between a "true" and "false" dwarf to us laypeople? :)

A_Ponderance

Reaction score
Netherlands carry a gene for dwarfing. If you have 1 dwarf gene the bunny is smaller than a bunny with no dwarf gene by about 30%. A bunny with double dwarf genes is usually a peanut and doesn't survive long. So, the difference for laypeople... is true dwarf is smaller than non-dwarf-gene carrying bunny.

Mind you, that is just my rough understanding. I try to stay out of the genetics, when possible. I just enjoy my bunnies, regardless of their characteristics.

SableSteel

Reaction score
She could be a purebred netherland dwarf, without being a true dwarf. Every netherland dwarf carries at least one copy of the non-dwarfing gene, because if they don't, they don't usually live past a week old.

Latest posts