Jumping and agility

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebeccalyn7

Reaction score
I would like to teach my bun how to do some jumping and agility for extra exercise, but in Australia, I have no clue where you can buy them? Any help

Sent from my iPad using Rabbit Forum

I would like to teach my bun how to do some jumping and agility for extra exercise, but in Australia, I have no clue where you can buy them? Any help

Sent from my iPad using Rabbit Forum
--extreme caution should be considered for any activity requiring the rabbit to jump/twist,,as the rear legs are strong enough to break the spinal cord causing paralysis,,-sincerely james waller :imsorry::bunny5:headflick:

oh please... rabbits jump and hop all the time.... next thing you know you won't allow a rabbit to binky because well.... an accident might happen.

rabbit agility is a safe sport.

Do you have department or children's stores?
If so...you can go there to get the mats... teach your rabbit to hop on the mats.
Then for jumps you can start with simple things that are easy for a rabbit to knock over.
a dowel (go to a lumber supply or art store) that is set up on something it can roll off of.
You can build very simple jumps.
For a tunnel to start training that you can use a towel over low lying objects.

OR you could just contact the rabbit hopping society of Australia. http://www.rabbithoppingsocietyofaustralia.com/

and ask their advice. :)

There are a few clubs in Australia. They are mostly using the Danish rules and primarily do hopping (just jumps), but I think there are a few doing agility as well. I am really not sure exactly where they all are based though.

Jumps are pretty easy to build and don't have to be too expensive. You can use 1X2's for the stands and than something like 6X6" and 1" thick for the base. If you do taller than about 18", you may need a bigger base. The poles are usually about 2ft wide. The spacing for the poles is about 2-3". You would want 3-4 jumps to start so your rabbit can get used to doing them in sequence.
Other equipment is a bit harder to make, but still pretty easy.

The important thing is safety. Poles need to fall off easily from both directions. Some rabbits will head butt poles or run into them going forward and others will kick out, a few rabbits might do both. It is also a good idea for the jumps themselves to fall over if they get knocked, they don't need to fall easily, but should give is pushed or just move a bit.
You could even use something like a pole on some bricks to start, the pole should be on top of the brick so it will fall.

Agility and Rabbit hopping are fairly safe events. The equipment needs to be build safely, but rabbits really aren't apt to hurt themselves doing it. There are some rabbits who will binky over a jump or even crash into one and be fine. The rabbits love to do it and usually don't need much encouragement to go.

oh please... rabbits jump and hop all the time.... next thing you know you won't allow a rabbit to binky because well.... an accident might happen.

rabbit agility is a safe sport.

This reply was un necessary. All you had to include was that second part stating it was safe. If you cant respond in a friendly manner to what others have posted then please refrain from replying to those posts.
Kate was able to make a remark to that post with a simple disagreement.

Try and keep it friendly. If you can't do that, take it to PM's.

The Rabbit hopping site that ladysown linked has a contact page under the "More..." heading where you can send them an e-mail. I'm sure that if there's any clubs in VIC that they would know of them :)

Latest posts

Back