Jaw abscess - options?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in CT and I believe the law is that I can only get up to 10 needles without a prescription which my vet will not give me unfortunately, she was very insistant on the every 48 hours and so I was able to do them once a day for the past weeks is beacuse they gave me extras at our first appoinment. I was only given 6 (3 of each size, which would last me 3 days) for this week, which is why I was gonna do it every other day. I not sure if I am legally allowed to purchase needles online unfortunately.

What's the needle sizes that you used on your bun. I used 25g hub type and the penicillin won't go in, back pressured and splashed All over him and me 😨.

Tried twice and got the same result. He was so scared and peed on me (never like this before).

And just found out that he has fur mites today.😭

What's the needle sizes that you used on your bun. I used 25g hub type and the penicillin won't go in, back pressured and splashed All over him and me 😨.

Tried twice and got the same result. He was so scared and peed on me (never like this before).

And just found out that he has fur mites today.😭
I used a 20 g to draw up the penicillin into the syringe and chnaged the needle to a 22g to inject. A 25g may be too thin for penicillin, since its so thick. you can also try rolling the syrnge with penicillin in your hands for a few minutes to help warm it up a bit. I know you can also dilute it with lactated ringer solution to thin it out but I believe you do need a prescription for that. I think you can also use sterile solution? @JBun might know more about this.

Don't give up!! I had to really learn what works and what didn't. I realized the way you tent the skin also plays a huge role in how smooth the penicillin will go in. Sometims I would get half way with the amount and it gets clogged 😥 and somedays It would clog at the very beginning.

Make sure you clean off the penicillin off very well!! You do not want him to ingest any of the penicillin as it can make him very sick!

Sorry you have to go through all this 😞 kitten revolution (selamectin) from the vets I believe can get rid of the mites and i think theres also another type of injectable

the smaller guage means bigger needle and if the 22g is not working then you can try 21g or 20g. The vet started me on 20g but it looked really big and thick so i opted to try the 22g and it seemed to work most of the time. Sometimes it would clog and I would have to change it but the 22g seemed to go in easier and hurt less

@BentleyBun - luckily, I got a box of 22g needle from tractor supply when I got my penicillin. I will give it a try. Saline and Lactated Ringers Solution are no go as they required prescription 😡

I think JBun mentioned that Ivermectin should work for fur mites. I can get the gel/paste version for horse/bird without a prescription. Still working on the doses

You may not be getting the needle in the right spot. You need to make sure it's in between the layers. And warming up the solution for a few minutes can also help. If you're still having trouble, try a larger needle like Bentleybun suggested, may also help, though could be harder in penetrating the skin.

There's also some info shared in this old thread on pen g injections, that might prove helpful.

https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/having-trouble-giving-penicillin-injections-to-bunny.62218/

@BentleyBun - luckily, I got a box of 22g needle from tractor supply when I got my penicillin. I will give it a try. Saline and Lactated Ringers Solution are no go as they required prescription 😡

I think JBun mentioned that Ivermectin should work for fur mites. I can get the gel/paste version for horse/bird without a prescription. Still working on the doses

It was ivermectin! It comes in injectable as well, I used it once for my guinea pig when he had ear mites. But can't help you with the mites, I have no clue on dosing.

Its so frustrating that so many things require a prescription :confused:

You may not be getting the needle in the right spot. You need to make sure it's in between the layers. And warming up the solution for a few minutes can also help. If you're still having trouble, try a larger needle like Bentleybun suggested, may also help, though could be harder in penetrating the skin.

There's also some info shared in this old thread on pen g injections, that might prove helpful.

https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/having-trouble-giving-penicillin-injections-to-bunny.62218/

I did go through the entire thread earlier and tried everything except for the larger needle. Will try it in a day or two. Too much for my bun already 😢

For fur mites, do you recommend this
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003T4DMP...abc_H6GD14KBHPB5KCFKC7ZE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Or this
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/ivermectin-solution
This battle is getting tougher and tougher 🤯

Last edited:
Don't use ivermectin paste intended for horses. It's made to give to large animals, not tiny rabbits, and very difficult to ensure a proper dose is given. I know of many instances owners have tried this and caused an OD with their rabbit, which there is no reversal for and can cause incapacitating permanent damage or be fatal.

If you want to go the route of ivermectin, the liquid injectable for cattle can be precisely dosed, 0.4mg/kg and needs to be calculated and dosed precisely as very little is needed and an OD can occur if dosed incorrectly. Though I don't know if it's available otc in your state or not. Or if you can find the european Xeno 450 topical intended for rabbits, that would also be appropriate to use on rabbits, and would be easier as it's topical and comes with dosing instructions.

Don't use ivermectin paste intended for horses. It's made to give to large animals, not tiny rabbits, and very difficult to ensure a proper dose is given. I know of many instances owners have tried this and caused an OD with their rabbit, which there is no reversal for and can cause incapacitating permanent damage or be fatal.

If you want to go the route of ivermectin, the liquid injectable for cattle can be precisely dosed, 0.4mg/kg and needs to be calculated and dosed precisely as very little is needed and an OD can occur if dosed incorrectly. Though I don't know if it's available otc in your state or not. Or if you can find the european Xeno 450 topical intended for rabbits, that would also be appropriate to use on rabbits, and would be easier as it's topical and comes with dosing instructions.

How about this:
Www.allbirdproducts.com/products/ivermectin-solution

It is a very low dose for birds so it should work for rabbit?

I'm unfamiliar with the solution for birds, so can't comment on it's use. However, I do know of some bird medication formulations that can be harmful if given by direct dosing to other animals like rabbits. That product isn't intended for direct dosing but to be added to drinking water. Plus I can't see any info on what the concentration of ivermectin is. I personally wouldn't use it.

Any luck with the injections using the 22g?
Sorry for the late reply.

22g worked fine but it was quite hard to go through his skin.

The hole is still producing some pus but it is 90% reduction and it is very thin. I am thinking about stopping cleaning the wound daily to let it heal.

How is your bun doing?

Sorry for the late reply.

22g worked fine but it was quite hard to go through his skin.

The hole is still producing some pus but it is 90% reduction and it is very thin. I am thinking about stopping cleaning the wound daily to let it heal.

How is your bun doing?
That’s good. I heard it can take weeks or even months for some abscesses to completely heal.

my buns doing pretty good. His scab finally fell off a few days ago and so far everything is good!

That’s good. I heard it can take weeks or even months for some abscesses to completely heal.

my buns doing pretty good. His scab finally fell off a few days ago and so far everything is good!
That's great

Latest posts

Back