Japanese Speakers?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishbunny

Reaction score
Has anyone here learned Japanese? I heard it was a pretty easy language to learn?

I had to pick my subjects for the two year senior cycle in school, I based them around becoming a vet. nurse. For vet. nursing you need just one science subject so I picked biology and I also picked History because I like history. I had to pick one more subject so I wanted to pick the easiet one, just to bring up my points, and I was told Japanese was the easiest? So ya I'm taking up Japanese next year :D

At least next year I only have to do seven subjects rather then eleven.

My husband is learning Japanese because he wants to go visit there at least once. It is NOT an easy language. All the speaking and writing rules are very different. It might be easy in your school if they go super slow, but if you want an easy language class try one of the Romantic languages. Spanish, French, etc. They have more similarities. German isn't a Romantic language but it's what I took in high school and I thought it was pretty easy. You just have to get used to talking like Yoda (sentence structure).

I learn German already so I'll be doing like four different languages, German, Irish, English and Japanese. I heard it was easier then English and German? We'll be going right from the basics and we have to only learn 100 characters or something. God, I really hope it's not hard! :nerves1

They want you to learn characters? Like kanji?:?

Hope you like memorization! IMO it's silly to learn kanji until you have a handle on the language as a whole. Not to mention there are thousands. They do use an alphabet-type system which makes more sense for newbies to use.

Edit: I don't mean to scare you. If others at your school said Japanese was easy, they probably go easy on you in the class.

I'm not really sure exactly what we have to do, but I know the oral part of the end of course exam is only like What's your name? What age are you? and stuff, maybe we don't learn the characters until the second year.

My SIL took Chinese in high school, and Japanese in college. She then spent 3 years in Japan, teaching English to Japanese students. She can still speak very little Japanese.

I've heard it's one of the most difficult languages for native English speakers to learn, as it's so different.

Maybe "easy" refers to the class, not the language. (Especially if the whole final is simple things like name, age, and such.)

I also don't mean to scare you, just passing on what I've heard from my SIL.

I'm in Japanese right now. IT IS NOT EASY!! It is a level four language (the hardest) along with English and Arabic.

As far as characters and kanji go you're going to need to learn hiragana and katakana and probably romaji. Speaking from experience flashcards are your very best friend! And it is practically impossible to read Japanese without Kanji knowledge.

It's only a two year basic course so I doubt we'll be going much further then the basic my name is blah, I live in blah type stuff, least I hope not lol!

My friends picked up japanese this year, needed a subject filler too. They are doing BASIC japanese and she said its hard! Like the pronounciation's and stuff and that its quite hard to grasp as its just so diffrent, and she usually picks up stuff quick lol. And you used to do 11 subjects!! :eek: OMG we have 6 and in 7th form so year 13 we will only need a min of 3 lol, can see why Lauren actually likes NZ school over Irish now lol.

Ya lol for the first three years, the junior course you have to do 11, I did English, Irish, Maths, German, Science, CSPE, PE, Religion, Technology, Geography, History. For the senior cycle I'm doing English, Irish, Maths, German, Japanese, History, Biology.

Latest posts

Back