Japanese Bunny Cafe

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonnie Lee

Reaction score
There was a thread posted earlier in the year I think about a youtube clip from Japan
about a Rabbit cafe and it's where people go to sit and drink and play with rabbits and what not.

On my last few hours in Japan last week I made time to see a bunny cafe before I headed for the airport. and it was an extremely pleasant time and the bunnies were happy and healthy and the girl running the place was "educating" me on rabbit care and behaviour as she didn't know I own bunnies. But I thought it was really great that she was so enthusiastic to teach people and I was more than happy to see what her definition of rabbit care is.

some bunnies there were for sale as she breeds them but she only breeds a couple times a year from each doe. there were 3 kits for sale there and they cost almost around 300$ AUD. There weren't an oversized amount of bunnies as they aren't allowed to run at the same time. she only puts bonded ones out at a time or the unfixed ones out singularly. I checked their nails and they were nicely trimmed and all the buns had a strong trust with me and let me check their nails and fiddle to see them closely which ensured that this care isnt just a business for money as each bunny loved attention and were very trusting of even strangers.

We were given a bit of thinly sliced carrot to feed some buns with some baby spinach as well.

The only issue I saw was they were wire bottom cages with nothing to rest their feet on. but we worked out the place is open during the day til quite late at night and each bunny gets a lot of time off the wire. none of them had sore feet so I think it will be okay.

It cost 6 dollar for half an hour or 10 dollars for a full hour there and I got an orange juice for 1 dollar and my partner got a cafe latte for 1 dollar also. So the place doesn't seem very profitable as its a very small place and would only fit maybe 4 people at a time.

. I'm so sorry for such a long post, I am never good at simply stating things as I think every detail is important so I apologize. Anyway, time for photos.

cafe8.jpg

cafe7.jpg

cafe6-1.jpg

cafe5.jpg

cafe4.jpg

cafe3.jpg

cafe2.jpg

cafe1.jpg

cafe.jpg

oh my goodness, I totally saw the youtube video about this! I was soooo curious to know how the bunnies were taken care of, socialized, etc, etc. Personally, I think this sounds like such a fun idea! I would love to visit it sometime! Is this in Tokyo?

Hi, Apparently the entire business was created after a rabbit lover had seen somebody buy a bunny without knowing they chew on things and poop a lot and had given it up. so the lady created the business to be able to educate people what a rabbits behaviour really is and what not which I thought was an excellent idea also I thought it was great that its a cafe so people can unwind and watch bunnies after work since not many people can afford pets in Japan.

It's definitely a nice place to visit if you are ever in Japan. Also yes it's in Tokyo between Harajuku and Omote-sando. Although there are a couple more in Tokyo somewhere.

I would still be worried about no rest spot on the wire with them out often. How do they lay down on it comfortably? It does seem that apart from that they're taken very good care of, which is what I was worried about when I saw the video too.

wire cages are fine unless you have a breed prone to sore hocks such as mini rex, belgian hares, flemish giants, or checkered giants. Resting boards are a plus but if you dont have a problem with sores then they're just extra. I can send a picture of my tans laying comfortably and running on wire if you would like misery without any side affects.

They all look super friendly, happy and well taken care of. If she only breeds once a year Im pretty sure she wont grow big at all. It sounds like she is doing everything she can to avoid oops litters and spread of any diseases. The cages look nice and clean and so do the buns! Cool place :)

I think everyone if given the chance would have to see it themselves to judge what they think of it.

I had read many reviews of people saying the place smelt dirty and unpleasant but when we went in, it just smelt like fresh hay to me...

LakeCondo wrote:
Sounds good in theory, but the more rabbits in the same place, the more likely that infections would spread.

But if they're all well taken care of I don't see a problem :/ We have fourteen rabbits and they are all well taken care of, I never worry about infections passing around my buns.

Kipcha wrote:
LakeCondo wrote:
Sounds good in theory, but the more rabbits in the same place, the more likely that infections would spread.

But if they're all well taken care of I don't see a problem :/ We have fourteen rabbits and they are all well taken care of, I never worry about infections passing around my buns.

Mixing rabbits [or people etc] that come from different places & have been exposed to different things is a lot different than the same number of rabbits [or people] that are always together. For example kennel cough breaks out in kennels & shelters because pets are always coming & going. Well taken care of animals can get infected by other animals. And being contagious isn't immediately apparent. In fact, they say the most contagious time is before there are any symptoms.

LakeCondo wrote:
Mixing rabbits [or people etc] that come from different places & have been exposed to different things is a lot different than the same number of rabbits [or people] that are always together.  For example kennel cough breaks out in kennels & shelters because pets are always coming & going.  Well taken care of animals can get infected by other animals.  And being contagious isn't immediately apparent.  In fact, they say the most contagious time is before there are any symptoms.

She never said she had random rabbits coming in. It sounds like these are the same rabbits that live there and she only sells the babies when she has them. If not too many people have pets in Japan there isn't a big risk of infection coming in via indirect contact. The rabbits look healthy and sound well taken care of.

I'm really sorry if this thread is causing a bit of a debate.
I only wanted to post what I saw since the youtube videos weren't really clear on how the bunnies are taken care of.
I'm really sorry.

With the infections and what not though, nobody is allowed to have shoes on at all inside the room and when you enter and leave you have to use their anti-bacterial hand sanitizer. You aren't allowed to bring anything but yourself in so I don't think any other rabbits are coming in :) Although I don't think any actual Japanese people that go to bunny cafe's have pets at all anyway :)

I hope I cleared up some unanswered questions I really didn't mean to cause any debate.

If anybody goes to Japan you will learn they are extremely fussy people and everything is really clean. like We saw a woman walking her dog and it marked its territory and she had a special squirt bottle to pour over his urine to clean the bush... lol

But like i said in an earlier post I think an individual has to go there themselves to judge because this is just my opinion.

Based on the pictures, the place looks pretty clean and the rabbits look well cared for. It's a common practiceto quarantine for a period of time a new rabbit coming in, especially if you aren't sure of it's origins. And rabbits can lay comfortably on wire. They aren't laying on bare skin, but have a good coat of fur on them as a cushion.

I'm glad to hear that you had a good experience there. When I first heard of this I was wondering how the rabbits handled it. I think they have places like this with cats too. I think someone already mentioned that not many people within Tokyo have pets because it is expensive to have them. That's hard for me to imagine not being able to have a pet.

I just glanced at their sign again and love the bunny poop haha.

Latest posts

Back