Jaden has odd pooh behaviour!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cher

Reaction score
Please please before I have to bring her to the place she hates the most (the dreaded vet..)

Mah dearest little Jaden seems to have almost lost control of some of her bowels..she is only 3, no new foodstuffs, daily fresh hay, waterand food, and Jezebel is not suffering from this odd condition.

It is not those little grape clusters either (don't know the proper spelling of it so I am not going to risk it *grin grin*) and she just goes on the carpet, some is wetish and she leaves little leakage spots where she has been. I wiped out their whole cage today and by the time I got home from work the one side of it is covered in leaks again :( She is normally beautifully litter trained, plus there appears to be some mucus, very very little mind you, in some of the stools.

Finally and this is really ODD...her appetite is has gotten a bit on the ferocious side, she actually accosted my hubby for his sardines on the couch!!! and has become a hoover in the kitchen, hoping for floor things??? .

any help would be soo much appreciated,

Jaden and Jezebel's mom, Cher :bunnydance:

Hey Cher, it's so good to see you posting again! :kiss:

Sorry it's in the Infirmary, though. :(

This may be a chicken-or-the-egg thing, the appetite may be causing the problem. Too much protein or too many carbs can cause excess or runny cecals.

Can you tell ifthe runny parts cecals or poops?The cecals smell worse than poop, and they're sticky, she should have regular poops as well. True diarrhea is liquid, no normal poops.

I don't like the sounds of the mucus, that usually signals intestinal issues, although not always serious.

I'd be concerned with making sure she's getting plenty of liquids just in case, maybe syringe feed some Pedialyte.

Here's some general info...

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11935&forum_id=10[/url"]http://rabbitsonline.net/view<WBR>_topic.php?id=11935&forum<WBR>_id=10]http://rabbits-forums<WBR>.com/view_topic.php?id=11935<WBR>&forum_id=10[/url]

Let us know how she is.

sas :expressionless

HI CHER!!!!!

It's been so very long!!!!!

I'm thinking that Jaden should probably see the V - E - T.
It doesn't sound like she's in distress, but we don't want it to get any worse.
Might bea GI in balance?
Maybe a diet adjustment is needed. Is she getting alfalfa or timothy pellets.

~Jim

Hi Cher!

What is Jaden&#39;s diet like? It might help to give her lots of hay, less pellets, and take away any treats, sugary veggies, or veggies that are new to her. I agree with Pipp- you should definately make sure she&#39;s drinking enough. If the diet changes don&#39;t help then you&#39;ll need to take her in to *the evil place.*

You guys are just way tooooo sweet :mrsthumper:

I appreciate the feedback..as far as treats she only gets some alfafa pillows every now and then. I stopped with the crasins and yogurt treatswhen this first came to light.Her diet is rich rich rich in Timothy Hay and her food pellets are some sort of good for them (not Kaytee coloured variety or anything like that) true boring brown bunny pellets.

Her droppings are not cecal, they are borderline green from all the hay she eats-so I suppose she is going to the dreaded place :( poor girl

xo You guys are the best, she seems soo happy though that is the odd thing-**** sunny disposition of these girls sometimes hides what is really going on internally eh?

Cher

Hi Cher!

Pebbles would get mushy poos when I give her too much vegs. Like Naturestee&#39;s suggestion, give her plenty of hay and maybe some oats would helpfirm upsome of the poos.

I am not sure of the hay you have, but did she have any problems with the hay before? Is the hayfresh?<WBR> However, hay should still be the first choice in foods.

Rainbows! :)

Oh no, not Jaden! :(I really hope things are ok for her and it&#39;s a simple problem to fix. I&#39;ll keep her in my thoughts.

Keep us updated please!

Laura & the bunnies

Mah last and final thank you for all your concern, as it stands now...Jaden did indeed make it through the vet exam (shudder shudder poor thing) I feel like a prison warden with her food though-10 days of hay ONLY-aaaaaaaackkk!! and I will get the &#39;pooh test&#39; *grin grin* back today! So here is hoping it is a nice curable parasite or something to that affect as opposed to diabetes or another rarity-he was an excellent vet though-first time I brought her to see him

http://www.whatcomvet.com]http<WBR>://www.whatcomvet.com[/url]

:) thanks all again, so far she is qutie content (ahh probably waiting for her non-existant breakfast, awwwwwhttp://www....)]http://www....<WBR>)[/url</a>]

Cher

Yup...it's us again...

/sigh

My girl first went off her pellets, then we called the vet again and he suggested a full out fast! After that we slowly introduced her hay then pellets back to her-it seems the pellets may have had a high Timothy content in them?

She is now on alfalfa hay (it actually has the same fat as Timothy and she eats it slower) and I had to switch food too since her food seemed to bring her right back to leakage.

I have read many of the posted, very informativeI might add,articles here and none of them address what is going on with her.I had a fecal test done too, with her vet check and it came back neg-so I am grasping at straws here but what do you guys think about treating her...ever so gently, for wet tail ~ with a bit o dri-tail (Oasis I think it is) medication?

Overall she is happy, binky'ing, delightful, eating and drinking normally. Nothing different about her personality, or behaviour for that matter. Her pooh isn't horribly offensive, althougha little large and light green at times-with that *&amp;^% tail thing going on and the small leakage marks on the cage floor and the carpet :( Before I switched her food and hay she would leave wettish pooh on the carpet after she had been basking (mentioned before she is only three years old)

that is my dilemma, and my q is about the dri-tail idea

thanks so much for reading this novelette ::bunnydance:

Cher

Hi Cher!

I'm not sure about treating with Dri-tail or the Oasis wet tail treatment.
I know it's been mentioned before.

My Tootsie has had a similar problem to Jaden's.
I think I've gotten it under control by decreasing her protein, though.
It's been a couple of weeks now with no "accidents" :)

~Jim

Thanks Jim :) I did indeed decrease her protein(off Timothy) and onlya 14% pellet. We also gave her some oats this morn...I am going out today so I was curious if anyone had experience with the tail mumbo jumbo before I leave?

Cher &amp; little leaky Jaden

Actually, timothy hay is low protein and alfalfa hay is high protein. So it would be better to feed her timothy. If she eats more, that's more fiber which *should*help her poops. Have you tried removing her veggies?

What is the ingredient of the Dri-tail?

Chlortetracycline among some other ingredients,such as electrolytes and one very close to acididopholus (sp) WHY o WHY did I write that about the hay! good golly, nonetheless she was having some sort of unhappiness with the Timothy since Alfalfa is working out for her with a lower dosage of protein pellets. I know this since I stopped both and tried both on their own, and Timothy has her leaking again *excessively*if given to her....

Since the ol'bunny 'fast' she has had no veggies or treats, yesterday we gave her some (bout a tablespoon) of oats. So going to try oats and see how that works first before resorting to chemicals for her:( And keep in mind, it isn't a lot of leakage like beforenor any behavioural changes. She was dancing up a storm last night:bunnydance:

Cher

Dri-Tail can be used for rabbits, according to Barbie Brown, anyway, for things like infectious mucoid enteritis, but I'd be reluctant to use it on Jadenuntil there's a diagnosis.

Has the vet confirmed the liquid is fecal and not cecal?

Have you tried switching brands re: the timothy hay?Could you or your supplier have gotten a bad bale? Can you find a little mixed local grass hay? There's a lot out your way. And you may want to try a little fresh cat grass.

I'd really recommendslowly switching her to some Oxbow Bunny Basics pellets, that will give her the high fiber, low protein. It's pricey, but worth it.

And I'd suggest spiking her water with a littlecarrot or applejuice to make her drink more.

I don't like the idea that the vet did any fasting at all, but these things usually are a protein/carb issue or a food sensitivity. The other thing that bothers me is her voracious appetite might have meant she's not getting the nutrients she needs from that diet, and there has to be a reason for that.

What happens when she gets veggies? Often it's justa matter of experimenting. Maybe she needs an all veggie diet or a no veggie diet,different pellets, no pellets, hay or no hay,grass instead of hay... comboscan be end less. They have to be introduced slowly. Best to keep a journal.

Hope there's an easy fix out there!

sas

Thank you for your input...with the Timothy hay...I am not sure what exactly it is about it she reacts to-I did trya different bag, (not a different brand) to no avial

BUT I founda new place which allows me to 'pick' my own free hay for her-I can choose between Timothy or Alfalfa-so I may try her on that-just a question of beign able to rule out anything else at the same time.

The vet was a little dumbfounded about her leakage, and when I brought in some samples of her stool for him he did do a test and the only word I was given was it came back 'negative' He was not given any liquid to test since she only leaks occasionally not constantly. It is very minimal now compared to before as well as the verocious appetite is gone to-she is eating and drinking as usual. Not trying to eat the carpet anymore either. So that behaviour is gone since switching her hay and food.

Infectious mucoid enteritis=this was never mentioned by the vet at all,it was more something I was curious about but the only symptoms she showed with this was passing some mucous in her stool any other symptoms are not visible (not eating, not drinking, laying on her side excessively, non-participation, hunched up etc)

So I thank you again, and will keep a close eye as well as a "what Jaden ate today" journal-very good idea indeed!

Cher

Latest posts

Back