I've read tons of stuff that say pregnant rabbits are mean

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stone_family3

Reaction score
<B>Is this always true? </B>

My rabbit was mean before and she has become totally nice. I thought that maybe she was just playing with the hay making play nests, so I messed up the nest she had on day 26, instead of getting mad she cuddled up to me. So today I go out and check the nesting box and has made another round nest this time with a bit of fur and she was shoving cheek fulls of hay into the cat carrier. This is day 29.

<B>Also when/if she does have them can I open the cage to let her out but not the bunnies? </B>

She's in a medium dog kennel and accustomed to free ranging, I was thinking of covering the large opening and only leaving a small one for her to get in and out of.

<B>Also what age do babies usually get out of the nesting box on their own? </B>

Hopefully I'll be able to get another kennel to connect to it to allow them more space to move around as they get older, since they'll be so small and I'm afraid they'll be gotten or picked on by my chickens.

<B>How early will I be able to tell gender</B>

If there are any females I'd like to keep one as a companion. Would this be problem?

our dutch rabbit Sami came to us in February and we did not know she was pregnant!( oops, even breeders make mistakes) ....she was mean the whole week before she had the babies; she did not want to be handled and would grunt and stomp her feet; she started building the nest the day she had the babies....and that night had 4 kits, 2 boys, 2 girls; We were careful not to handled the babies too much, other than to take a photo every day to record their progress; Sami did not mind....she actually became nicer after the birth, and now 7 months later she is a real sweetie; The babies stayed in their nesting box for about a week , their eyes opened in 10 days, and then they started to venture out into the bigger cage; We let them out to run around the room they were lving in and really enjoyed watching them change and grow; My husband had a new daily photo of them on his facebook page;
At 7 weeks we took them back to the breeder that we got Sami from, and she sexed them for us, 2 boys 2 girls, and also tattooed their ears;
we kept all the bunnies, the girls live with Sami on one side of the bunny condo,(sadly we lost one of the girls 3 weeks ago) the boys live on the other; The boys will be getting fixed in october; As pairs they have bonded very well; and honestly when the one passed away, the girls were sad; So if you keep your bunny with her babies the bonding has already started and the one you keep should have no problem living with mom; just remember to get them fixed;

Depends on the does. I have a doe who is quite witchy, and when she was pregnant and her babies were younger, she was very sweet. Once they hit 8 weeks, she was so tired of them and just wanted them gone and back to her normal witchy self she went.

I've had some does be nice before pregnancy, but then they're grouchy/protective during, and after babies are born, and go right back to normal after they are weaned.

Babies will start to explore when they open their eyes around 10 or so days. About 2 to 3 weeks old they'll be out more and more, and the won't need the nestbox for much longer around 3 weeks. A medium sized dog kennel is definitely way to small to be housing a rabbit and her babies...I would upgrade to a large exercise pen or something of the sort. ;)

Emily

As far as sexing them, some breeders can sex them as young as 2 weeks, but most inexperienced breeders can't sex them until 6 or 8 weeks. Some kits can be so difficult that you won't know until they start to get more mature parts (drop testes or get a fully-developed vulva).

I've never had a doe be mean while pregnant, but I expect certain behaviors from my rabbits, and refuse to keep a mean rabbit... most just know that people are fearful and they get by with the inapropriate behavior. So no mean does, that I Hav ehad.... doesn't mean some don't get a little testy.

I can check the sex of babies pretty young. Been doing it for years though. Takes practice.

I personally wouldn't keep a doe as a companion. But I don't feel rabbits need to have a cage bunny. I like my rabbits seperated where I know who is and isn't eating and whatever health issues can arise.

once babies eyes open around 10 days, some will start going in and out of the nest box on their own.

since I'm picturing a dog kennel with bigger wire, you must WATCH that the babies don't get through it. Sometimes when the mother feeds when she jumps out of the nest she'll take a baby with her. It's like a magnent and they go right for the wire for some reason. Just watch.

Latest posts

Back