I've done did changed my mind...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunnieBunnie Rabbitry

Reaction score
Well, I've done did changed my mind, I think...

On Monday there will be a gentleman coming over to take a lookat some of the bunnies I have in the nestbox. He is a CollegeSenior who has been feeling a little lonely and did not want as "big"of a responsibility as a dog or cat.He did somereading and researching and thought a Pet rabbitwould suithis needsso.... It looks like I'llbe selling a Pet Bunny to him.

So, it looks like Imight now be selling to the petmarket with the conditions of a legal written contract stating that therabbit MUST be spayed or neutered at the appropriate ageand if anything were to occur where they can no longer keep or care forthe rabbit, itis tobebroughtbackto me.

Since the majority of you are House Bunny owners (*ahem*, HouseBunny Slaves ;)), I was wondering what you all thought of theseconditions, do you feel that it is reasonable?

Well, I have both pet bunnies and I breed andshow bunnies. I think with the precautions youre taking...and the boyis in college (hopefully older means more responsible)....things shouldwork out ok.

I recommend the altering of petrabbits. Do be certain to consider all the angles of yourrequirement and how you will follow up to ensure compliance.Personally, I would highly recommend spay/neuter, but not require it ina signed contract.

Will you be willing to go to court to have the animal removed from thenew owners home if they do not comply with your spay/neuterrequirements?

What if the owner does not have funds at the appropriate time?

Could this signed contract open you to a libel suit? What ifthe rabbit dies during surgery?Will you replace it?What if the rabbit suffers health related problems due to thesurgerythat run into high vet bills? What if theowner suffers pain and suffering at the loss of his rabbit due to acontractual agreement stating that the rabbit must have theoperation?

What if there is a health problemthat may be cause for forfeiting the spay/neuter?

You may have to consider explaining the risks of surgery and having thenew owner sign a waiver, releasing you from any liability relating tothe advised surgery. There are many vets who are notexperienced with rabbit surgery.

One option to ensure compliance is tokeep the rabbit until 6months of age, pay for the surgery yourself and include it in the costof the sale.

If you do decide to go ahead with the contract,here are somecommon policies to assure the pet is altered. . .

"Spaying and neutering are almost always a requirement of any dogshelter before adoption. They will either perform the procedure foryou, and the adoption cost pays for the procedure, or they willrecommend you to a low cost clinic. It can cost anywhere from $27 to$250 depending on the sex, size, and physical condition of your pet.Some shelters have payment plans for the operation. The earlier youhave your pet spayed/neutered the less it will cost. Don't let theprice prevent you from having this done, the operation will pay foritself overtime, not to mention that you are saving the lives of many,many pets that would have been born without a home or responsibleowner. So please, have your pet fixed. Not only will you help out theentire animal population but you will have a happier, healthier pet!"

"All neutering/spaying fees are paid at the time of adoption"

"If an animal is too young, we include a certificate good towardsspaying or neutering"

"Spaying/Neutering Is Not Optional! Every dog must bespayed or neutered before it is placed in a new home. It may be hard totell if a female dog is already spayed. If your vet believes that shehas already been spayed you can place her with the additionalstipulation in the adoption contract that if she comes in season, thenew owners will have her spayed immediately.

My aunt and I awhile back came up with a contact for the sales of any pet rabbits.

http://www.geocities.com/shadowlakerabbits/petcontract

In it, I recommened it, but did not require it. I would like people tospay/nuetered, however some people down here cannot simply afford suchan expensive procedure. There are alot of people around here that wouldgive the rabbit a wonderful loving home, but still not be able to getthem fixed.

I have no clue if something like I came up with would really work ornot, as I have yet to sell any rabbits.. but it's a thought.

~Nichole

Thank you for your responses...

I have thought of all of those questions, Pam, and I haven'tbeen able to come up with any real answers to them myself.Maybe I'll just include a waiver sectionon my HealthStatement stating that I, as the breeder & seller, recommendedto said person to get the rabbit altered assuringlongevity,health, and aiding in the reduction of unwantedpets.

Latest posts

Back