IV in rabbit's arm after spay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetwobunnies

Reaction score
so my rabbit just got spayed today and when I came home I realized they forgot the iv in her arm, I called and they said I could either bring her back or take it out myself. Due to how far away the vet is, traffic, and the fact that the vet would close in 30 minutes anyway I chose to take it out myself.

I've never done anything like this, I am actually a teen and it took me a long time to complete the task (30 minutes) I had to cut the tape off and then I sloppily and probably extremely painfully took the IV out (I was not aware of how long the catheter was) it's out now, and there wasn't a whole lot of bleeding (just a little blood around the place where the IV was injected) but that's about it.

I am very worried now, and she is not moving at all. Before I took the IV out she was walking around (in her cage) and eating hay. Now she is crouching uncomfortably in the back of her cage and not moving at all

Her stomach is also VERY hard, like almost a rock. Is this normal?

I am also very worried I punctured/ ruptured her vein or gave her nerve damage because of how I took it out. Is this possible? What are the signs if I did?

I also added a picture of what was in her arm

photo.JPEG

If you are not careful when taking out a catheter you can blow the cephalic vein (the vein on the forearm). But this shouldn't cause her to not move The most is would cause is a hematoma on her arm (basically swelling). Did they not instruct you on how to take it out? Thats pretty bad, I would have at least stayed on the phone to walk you through it as it can take finesse.

Did she do fine after the surgery? Would she eat afterwards and act okay at the vets? I'd be worried she has some GI issues going on after the surgery with how she is acting

Is that serious (hematoma)?? and she basically told me to take it out slowly and to put pressure on it. I forgot about the tape until I actually was about to do it.

The car ride home she was digging and digging in her carrier, and when we got home she did walk around a bit (in her cage) and even ate some hay. Now she is laying down and not moving or eating (I have 3 little stalks of parsley which she loves but nothing)

Also, would I know right away that she has a hematoma or is it something I'll have to carefully look at in order to know??

Also, the vet, well actually a nurse, did tell me she was doing fine after surgery and all that but I mean it's kind of hard to trust them completely especially when something like this happens

Yes they said she was given an injection and 4 oral syringes (the most common pain med it starts with an m) and was told to start giving it to her tomorrow early in the morning

Ah thank you, is that serious? Fatal? Needs vet attention? Or just something that will go away on its own?

I would give her a bit more time to settle.

I've been the brunt of IV practice many many times and those things hurt when being put in/pulled out by people who don't have the experience to do so. (not saying that against you).

Give her a bit more time. It may help to have some infant gas drops on hand.
Offer her a bowl of water in her cage. And lots of hay.
A hard belly is likely the result of her clenching her tummy muscles because of the pain. If shes had metacam all ready today, you can give the syringes by mouth on schedule tomorrow.

Yep the hematoma will go away on its own. But if her arm is not swollen in the area you pulled the catheter from then there isn't one and she is fine.

I understand, I was definitely rough with it due to the tape being practically all over in her fur, I feel awful and I just hope that I didn't puncture or rip her vein or anything serious. I do have some infant gas drops from a month earlier for my other rabbit and there is hay and a bowl of fresh water in her cage. And ah yes, metacam is what it's called. Okay that sounds good, thank you guys for all your help.

I just hope I made the right decision by spaying her. I can't help but feel like one of those people who purposely do things to other people despite their protests and pleas because they think it's "for their own good" and in the end the "victim" ends up being completely mental and/ or a totally different person

Latest posts

Back