It's for the birds...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the new Nikon 18-300mm zoom, and I really like it. It's the same size and weight as the 18-200mm, but half again longer, which means that it will replace both the 18-200 and the 70-300mm zoom, a big savings in total weight and bulk (not to mention convenience). Here are some pictures I took with it at my porch bird feeder:

Brown-Headed Cowbird:
brown-headed-cowbird_2577-8624.jpg

Goldfinch - notice the olive winter plumage being replaced by summer gold:
goldfinch_2594-8625.jpg

Rose-breasted Grosbeak:
rose-breasted-grosbeak_2565-8626.jpg

Hairy Woodpecker:
woodpecker_2562-8627.jpg

Fantastic images Mike, I didn't know you did bird photography, I do too :) Recently I got a Canon 100-400mm which has been very exciting to use after surviving on a 55-250mm kit lens for the last four years. You seem to be enjoying the new lens so far, I hope it continues to go well for you.

Woodpeckers were definitely some of my favourite USA birds when I've visited :)

I love the picture of the rose-breasted grosbeak, like he's peeking around the corner to see if anyone's there. :)

I stopped off at the Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge at the north end of Cayuga Lake on the way back from visiting a client today, and took some pictures (of course).

I like the way the necks of these Canada Geese reflect each other:
canadageese_2786-8657.jpg

The Redwing Blackbirds were nesting all over the Reserve - there was one nearly every few yards.
redwing-blackbird_2769-8658.jpg

I like to try to catch birds calling - this is a Tree Swallow on a birdhouse at the Reserve Visitor Center.
treeswallow_2752-8659.jpg

Lovely photos, seeing them reminds me of being in the states, I miss seeing the many varieties of new birds there, it's so fascinating and like a whole other world. Love the photo of the red-winged blackbird, I never did get to see one of those up close.

Hummingbirds are amazing creatures. Nature's helicopters, they hover and dart here and there at great speed.

They also have long memories. I never got around to putting out my hummingbird feeder last year. A month ago I spotted a hummingbird hovering exactly where the feeder had been, two years earlier. Of course, I put the feeder right out, and it's been busy with little birds ever since.

Here's a male ruby-throated hummingbird, hovering next to the feeder:
hummingbird_2891-8697.jpg

This is a female, coming in for a landing:
hummingbird_2884-8695.jpg

The female, again, ready to start sipping nectar:
hummingbird_2888-8696.jpg

Mission accomplished, maximum effort climb out!
hummingbird_2870-8694.jpg

Hummingbirds are so gorgeous. I only ever got to see a single bird and it was perched at the time, so I've never actually seen the amazing hovering behaviour. That's so amazing that they hovered in the exact spot of the feeder two years on. I knew they had good memories so they didn't revisit flowers, but that's amazing :)

The hummingbirds have just about all flown South for the year - but here's one more picture before they go.

hummingbird_3232-8726.jpg

I heard what sounded like a bird constantly cheeping on my porch - but it turned out to be this little guy...

chipmunk_3235-8727.jpg

... and about six more of his family...

chipmunk_3240-8728.jpg

Oh my goodness! They're chipmunks right? I never got to see one when I was in the states, super disappointing. Such adorable little things, great photos :)

Oh my goodness! They're chipmunks right?

Yes, they're chipmunks. They love to clean up the spilled birdseed under the feeders on my porch. One lookout sits on the woodpile and goes "cheep... cheep... cheep..." continuously - when he stops and runs away that's the signal for the other chipmunks to watch out.

I don't often use flash in bird photography, but sometimes fill flash can help on a dull, cloudy day. Here it does a good job bringing out the shine on the blue jay's feathers.

bluejay_9205-8777.jpg

bluejay_9206-8778.jpg

How close did you get to that jay to be able to use flash? I don't think my bird friends will let me get that close unless it's through a window.

I caught this Red-bellied Woodpecker on the feeder this morning - it's a new one for me. Quite a pretty bird. This is a female - in the male, the red coloring covers most of the top of the head, instead of only the nape of the neck.

redbelliedwoodpecker_9337-8786.jpg

A Common Junco, or snowbird, as they're known here.
junco_9363-8785.jpg

We've had a pair of cardinals on the feeder for the last few weeks. What spectacularly colored birds! The male will perch on a tree across the street before he comes to the feeder, and he stands out against the winter grey tree bark like a beacon.

cardinal_9897-8959.jpg

The cardinal and a chickadee. At least the cardinal is willing to share the feeder - blue jays always chase everything else away (and then dump most of the seed on the ground).
cardinal-chickadee_9898-8960.jpg

Spring has finally arrived in Harford, New York, after a really tough Winter and cold rainy Spring. Yesterday I saw a hummingbird hovering on the porch where I hang my hummingbird feeder. I rushed it out, and they're out in force slurping up the nectar.

The morning sun gave enough light to let me use a high shutter speed for these pictures today. At 1/500th the wings are not quite frozen, there's just enough blur to give an idea of their speed.

hummingbird_7691-9008.jpg

Caught the hummingbird's tongue on this shot...

hummingbird_7681-9007.jpg

I've upgraded my camera to a Nikon D500 and recently acquired a 200-500mm Nikkor lens for bird and airplane photography. The combination is really great - sharp and fast and, if heavy, a pleasure to operate. Here are a few sample pictures I've taken over the last few weeks.

Cardinal
cardinal_1455-9180.jpg

Red-Bellied Woodpecker
redbelliedwoodpecker_1400-9181.jpg

Common Junco - a/k/a "Snowbird"
junco_1370-9182.jpg

Canada Goose landing at Cornell's Sapsucker Woods Lab of Ornithology
canadagoose_1272-9183.jpg

Another Canada Goose at Sapsucker Woods
canadagoose_1269-9184.jpg

Mallard Duck
mallard_1200-9185.jpg

Hairy Woodpecker
hairywoodpecker_0159-9186.jpg

Nuthatch
nuthatch_0088-9187.jpg

Finally, a very furry bird - a Red Squirrel who frequents my feeder...
squirrel_1338-9195.jpg

Latest posts

Back