It was a sad Easter day...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunnieBunnie Rabbitry

Reaction score
This Easter past, 2 Bunnies were left offat mydoorstep due to their owner's daughter no longer havinginterest in them - they were no longer "cute & cuddly babybunnies"so she had no interest in keeping them. :(

From the information I was able to get, they were pet store /swap meet bunnies. The darker Broken boy is the older of thetwo and the Ermine colored one was a Thanksgiving "gift" to keep theother rabbit company. They have been living together sincethen. Both males are unaltered and get along very well (withthe occasional dominance gestures *ughm*). It is unclear whathappened to the Broken's ears, it could have been due to a cat attackor a bonding scuffle with the other boy.

Pam, if you wanna have a go at it... They have rollbackfur. They are severely underweight,almostemaciated, but currently weigh in at 3lbs 10oz (Broken) and 3lbs 12oz(Ermine). Their frame is slightly larger than my Dutch/MiniLop mix who is 6lbs. The Broken is an Agouti, no realrings...White UC and the top just seems to be various tickingcolors of Black & Rusty Chocolate?

Pictures (and plenty of them) are located here:http://www.sunniebunnierabbitry.com/NeedHomes
(scroll down to the bottompictures for someideas of thier Type)

These boys will remain in my care until they are a healthyweight. I'd love to keep them myself, but hubby says we onlyhave room for 1 pet bunny at a time, and Panda still has a long lifeahead of her ;). So, just in case I can't convince hubbyotherwise, if anyone knows anybody in Southern California who wouldlike to take these sweethearts into their homes, I would be truelygreatful. I will try to get these boys neutered beforegoing to their new home, but funds are tight and it's $85 per bunny forthe procedure :shock:.

~Sunshine

Hi SBRabbitry,

I'm so sorry that you're in a position for having to foster these twolittle ones. I truly hope you find a loving home for them.
You're an angel for holding onto them the way you are. Will say a prayer that they get adopted soon.

Hope all is well with you otherwise. :)

-Carolyn

SunnieBunnie Rabbitry wrote:

Pam, if you wanna have a go at it... They have rollbackfur. They are severely underweight,almostemaciated, but currently weigh in at 3lbs 10oz (Broken) and 3lbs 12oz(Ermine). Their frame is slightly larger than my Dutch/MiniLop mix who is 6lbs. The Broken is an Agouti, no realrings...White UC and the top just seems to be various tickingcolors of Black & Rusty Chocolate?

~Sunshine

I think thatlike your Dutch/Mini Lop mix, these are alsomixes with lop in them. The white ticked is a "frosty"(formerly known as Ermines).

Pam

Thank youCarolyn

I just hope they start putting on some weight and muscle mass soon...in a way, I'm glad that the pictures don't show just how bad of acondition they're in. They wereleftin myhands sitting in a small laundry basket, with nothing more than ablanket and some wet,old,foulsmellingandmolded hay!
Oh,I was sofumed!

Even if I don't find another home for them, I'll be happy when they'reperfectly plump and perky. :)And hopefully bythen,hubby would be used to them being around where theycould stay. *cross my fingers*

Thank you Pam, I knew they were mixes of some sort... it was therollback coat that had me thrown for a loop...lol. With thebreeds that I'm familiar in, I'm so used to everything having Flybackor, of course, Rex coats... With the exception of FG's.lol

Other than these new additions, everything is going great!We're settled into our new house and waiting for more nice sunny daysso we can test out the waters in our pool...lol. And now thatSpring is here, there are more shows around and my breedings aresettling into regular intervals now :)with some great results.

I had a very exciting day yesterday, I had a tour and visited awildlife sanctuary which currently houses 4 Bengal Tigers,aLeopard,a Bobcat, and a Serval. Absolutelybeautiful animals! This is the place I visited:http://www.lionstigersandbears.org/About_LTB.htm

~Sunshine

I am sorry, Sunshine. I hope you are able to get enough money to neuter the boys.

Good luck with trying to get those boys a home.

They are so cute. I don't know why anyone would think they aren't! Again, good luck.

Ally

God Bless ya for taking them in the wayyou have. They look very sweet. Poor guys. I get so tired ofpeople's notion of throw away pets. I'll get and if I don't like itI'll get rid of it Ugh. Sorry. I hope that things work out both for andfor them. I will be saying aprayer that you get the money to get theboys neutered.

I think what you are doing so is awesome I really do. Good Luck.

Tina

Broken and Ermine refer to their color and markings.

Broken means their color is "broken" with white markings, or White with colored spots / splotches.

Ermine / Frosty is a color that is white and lightly "frosted"with color that sometimesis barely visible.Thesecolored rabbits have brown eyes.

I hope that helps clarify.

~Sunshine

Sunshine, I thinkyou are terrific for taking these boys in and making them healthy. Somany people would have just taken them on to a shelter. It's fortunatefor them that the doorstep they found themselves on was a bunny loverwho knows how to care for them. I hope you find a way to get the wordout and find a good home.

You Rock! :cool:

RaspberrySwirl

It really burns me up to think of people justgetting rid of their rabbits like that. Or any pet, really. Obviouslythere are sometimes circumstances beyond someone's control, but thisclearly wasn't one of those times.

I'm so very glad that someone like you is caring for these two, someonewho know what they're doing and loves rabbits. I can tell you'realready in love with them, hopefully hubby will come around soon. :)

Thank you Pam, I knew they were mixes ofsome sort... it was the rollback coat that had me thrown for aloop...lol. With the breeds that I'm familiar in, I'm so usedto everything having Flyback or, of course, Rex coats... With theexception of FG's.lol

~Sunshine

The rollback fur would be more common in rabbits of lop(exceptfor the English)or dwarf ancestry.Those particular colors are also more common in lops.

Of course, people cross so many different breeds that it can often be difficult to formulate a guess.

Pam

All of you are too sweet... you know you'd all do the same thing. :)

I spent yesterday afternoon combining 2Dogcratestogether to make 1 big cage.Iknow this will give them plenty of room now, so they don'thave to be crammed into my 24x24 Mini Rex cages. I just needto rig a way of putting a solid roof on and I'd say they'reset. I'll post a picture of it today once I get them settledinto it. I just hope I don't get camerahappy...lol.

~Sunshine

This Easter past, 2 Bunnies were left off atmydoorstep due to their owner's daughter no longer havinginterest in them - they were no longer "cute & cuddly babybunnies"so she had no interest in keeping them. :(

~Sunshine

It's at times like these when I wish I lived in America :( Iwould give anything to be able to get more rabbits, but space permitsroom for only one right now, and my boyfriend already gets slightlymiffed about all the attention Mushrooms gets ;)

I hate hearing about rabbits bought over Easter, and thendumped when they grow up or get fed up with looking after them.

You'd think people would have realised by now that it's a bigcommitment getting a child (or anyone) a pet - and they certainlyshouldn't be thought of as PRESENTS!

Good luck looking after them and I'm sure you'll find an excellent, happy home for them to go to soon! :D

Bless you for taking these little guys in. Theyreally are sweet looking bunnies - I really don't understand peoplethat think any animal can just be disposed of because it is no longer'cute'. Good luck with either re-homing or persuading hubby;)

Jan

It took me a while, but I've got newpictures up of "The Boys" stomping grounds :p. All I need todo is find the right kind of box that I can stick in with them to starttheir litterbox training, and give me some kind of break with cleanningtheir cage...lol.

They're adjusting quite well to the surroundings and one of them has even put on 1/2 a pound! :)

http://www.sunniebunnierabbitry.com/NeedHomes

~Sunshine

Latest posts

Back