Is this wrong?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackelope

Reaction score
Looking for opinions on whether breeding this rabbit would be a problem.

I have a friend with a mix breed rabbit named Pasha. She's a beautiful frosted pearl Holland Lop cross. Very friendly. I raised show rabbits for several years, though I'm not doing it anymore, and my friend wants to breed Pasha. I'm urging her to get a pedigreed show rabbit (a doe) to breed instead because I'm highly against breeding rabbits for pets. They put strain on shelters and take up homes that other homeless rabbits need.

Some friends and family of mine tell me I should loosen up, though, that it's not a big deal to breed a pet rabbit once, especially because there's a few of our friends already interested in taking the babies.

I just don't know about this. Looking for any input.

Is she just breeding to breed and sell? I would talk her into spaying her rabbit and not getting another to breed. Shelters don't need anymore currently at my city shelter there is 14 rabbits up for adoption.

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

Many shelters have babies. You say there are a "few" friends who want the babies - what happens to the other babies? They will probably go off into the pet trade, unspayed and unneutered and they will breed "like rabbits," creating more shelter buns.

Totally agree with you - why does she want to breed it, because it's pretty and nice? For pets? For money?

Yeah, the 'extra bunnies' was my concern as well. If we were going to rehome them, hypothetically, I would be sure to stress to the new owners that if they ever, for whatever reason, can't keep the rabbit, to return the bunny to us and we'll make sure he/she is well cared for and either stays with us or is rehomed again. But not everyone follows instructions. Who knows where the rabbit will end up.

We're probably not going to spay Pasha because she's not with any bucks, doesn't have any hormonal behavior issues as of yet, and it would put her under a lot of stress (though I am always concerned about uterine cancer and will warn my friend—it's her rabbit and up to her whether she gets spayed).

My friend isn't out for money. Her intentions are good. She wants to breed Pasha because she's pretty and has a great personality, a "great quality pet" if you would. I'm personally amazed. This rabbit is completely fearless (never spooks), never kicks, and just likes to sit and cuddle with people. My friend is motivated to breed her because she's a big hit with her friends, who say they want a baby from her.

She just doesn't understand the shelter problem, which nor do I since I've never worked with shelters, but as breeders it's our responsibility to uphold ethical practices.

We're going to a show in a couple weeks, and she wanted to get a show rabbit anyway (because she does actually want to do some legit hobby breeding and have animals to exhibit). I'll tell her not to breed Pasha and we'll pick out the perfect doe for her to get started on a serious level (that will not have any affect on the pet market or shelters because these rabbits will be in high demand amongst breeders—we're planning on English Lops, which are highly desirable and expensive around here). I think everyone here is right about me being right. It would be an irresponsible headstart for her, and unnecessary. We'd be devastated if anything went wrong for Pasha, anyway.

Last edited:
Pasha sounds very sweet like my little Coco. He never wiggled away from me, never balked at being picked up, never even let me know that he has teeth (no bites), he loved to lay on my belly and get his ears scratched. He was the greatest little prince of a bunny. My current four - none of them like to be held or snuggled. So, I know the desire to continue the line of a sweet bun. I wish you, your friend and Pasha all the best!

Wanting to breed your doe because you're so attached to her is definitely not the right reason. Perhaps you could remind your friend of the risks to the doe. What if something went wrong during kindling and the doe died?

Is she just breeding to breed and sell? I would talk her into spaying her rabbit and not getting another to breed. Shelters don't need anymore currently at my city shelter there is 14 rabbits up for adoption.

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

The rabbit rescue near me has over 100 bunnies up for adoption at any given time. They adopted out 124 last year alone. So you can see that even with finding homes for that many, they still are always full to capacity with more bunnies needing homes. I know they often have to turn away bunnies because they just don't have the space.

And that's just one rescue. Within half-hour drive of that is another one that is full with almost as many needing to be adopted. :(

The rabbit rescue near me has over 100 bunnies up for adoption at any given time. They adopted out 124 last year alone. So you can see that even with finding homes for that many, they still are always full to capacity with more bunnies needing homes. I know they often have to turn away bunnies because they just don't have the space.

And that's just one rescue. Within half-hour drive of that is another one that is full with almost as many needing to be adopted. :(

That's sad to hear. But Im glad they're able to save some of them. Do you happen to know what they tell the people who are turned down when they bring their rabbits in? Or do they euthanize the rabbits they don't have room for?

What if shelters collaborated with breeders, and used them as a last resort alternative for rescue bunnies? Most breeders I know take in rescues. The shelter could have a few numbers to call when they're just too full to take in another rabbit. Not all breeders will spay or neuter out of pocket, but some do, and either way it's still a much better option than euthanasia or turning down the rabbit to let the owner figure out how they're going to get rid of it (perhaps in an irresponsible manner).

I've taken in quite a few rescues myself. One was a three and a half week-old baby someone was trying to sell until they got talked down by me and a couple of good people. I gave the baby to one of my does who had a litter about the same age and it did fine! Another good resources breeders could provide is nursing mothers.

There are risks with breeding that she would need to understand and be ok with. While rare, the doe can die. First time mothers might not know what to do, so the litter can all die as well. Breeding isn't all fuzzy bunnies and rainbows and things do go wrong.
Having a good personality is great, but that doesn't mean all the kits will be like that as well. You do have to take into account what the buck is like and even then babies can be quite individual.
Breeding just for pets does have some issues associated with it. There are many rabbits in shelters and rescues needing homes. Some do have babies and lop breeds are common. It's not to say that breeding and selling pets directly kills that same number is a shelter, but it can mean that some don't find homes. Not everyone will go to a rescue, but there could be someone who might have gone to a rescue but is now going somewhere else. There is also the issue of people who are not prepared for a rabbit and then find it isn't what they wanted and dump the rabbit. Even if you take precautions, people still do what the feel like. As there are people who might be interested, are they really serious about getting a rabbit? Rabbits are a fair amount of work and many people don't understand that.

Even breeding for show and to sell to other breeds can have some issues. Not all rabbits will be show quality for one reason or another. Some could still be used fro breeding, but that still leaves those who should not be bred. This can leave pet homes, but there are not a ton of good homes and lots of rabbits needing a home. The other options can be hard for some people to deal with.

I would suggest going to a shelter or rescue and looking at the rabbits there. Each of them needs a home. You can ask about their stories and even about the numbers the shelter has and how many adoptions they get. Just seeing them can help people understand and knowing what might happen can also help. Many shelters do euthanize for space, so animals don't have a lot of time.

Breeding should not be done on a whim and without thinking. I will admit that I have thought about breeding (never really seriously though), but I also hear about rabbits who have died, babies that die, and many other issues that happen. I also hear of and see rabbits that are neglected by their owner and would wonder about finding good homes. Even for one litter, that could be 4-8 babies that will need homes. I know it would be a lot of work and even heart break if something went wrong.

Thank you for the input, Korr_and_Sophie. =p I've been a show breeder for several years though and do understand the risks and repercussion, as well as the issue of pet quality rabbits. We've decided not to breed Pasha, for the sake of her and others than need homes.

Last edited:
That's sad to hear. But Im glad they're able to save some of them. Do you happen to know what they tell the people who are turned down when they bring their rabbits in? Or do they euthanize the rabbits they don't have room for?

What if shelters collaborated with breeders, and used them as a last resort alternative for rescue bunnies? Most breeders I know take in rescues. The shelter could have a few numbers to call when they're just too full to take in another rabbit. Not all breeders will spay or neuter out of pocket, but some do, and either way it's still a much better option than euthanasia or turning down the rabbit to let the owner figure out how they're going to get rid of it (perhaps in an irresponsible manner).

They don't euthanize, they simply refuse the rabbit. They do have connections with other rescues and if one is too full, then another can sometimes step up. But there are times when they are all full to capacity. At that point, they simply say no. I knew someone who attempted to turn in a rabbit because of their moving and were rejected. They were on their own for finding the bunny a new home. If the rescue has other connections, I'm not aware of them.

Oh, the rescues do require adoptees (by contract) to return their rabbits to the shelter should they ever become unable to continue caring for the rabbit. But that only applies to rabbits adopted from their rescue.

I have 2 buns from the same litter and they are as different as night and day so just because the doe is a rock star doesn't mean her offspring will be. A lot of how a bunny ends up is determined by who and how he or she is raised. If she wants to have babies she can check with her local shelter to see if they have a foster program and she can volunteer to foster a mom and her babies. I can not say enough good things about spaying and neutering your buns. I understand there can be risk involved but in my experience is that is the exception and not the rule. Whenever possible visit your shelters for your buns - not sure about your locale but her in so cal we have shelters that adopt out already spayed or neutered buns for $50 or less which anyone that has had a bun spayed at their vets will tell you is the bargain of all bargains.

Also just another food for thought, I had one doe, sweet as could be, after breeding her for a litter(she was a good show rabbit for markings and type), she most certainly is not sweet as could be anymore. Her children are still sweet hearts but she's very hormonal now and can go one day sweet the next a witch grunting growling the works. It was her time to come off the show table and move to breeding but it still hurts to think that my normal sweetie is not a sweetie anymore.

They don't euthanize, they simply refuse the rabbit. They do have connections with other rescues and if one is too full, then another can sometimes step up. But there are times when they are all full to capacity. At that point, they simply say no. I knew someone who attempted to turn in a rabbit because of their moving and were rejected. They were on their own for finding the bunny a new home. If the rescue has other connections, I'm not aware of them.

Oh, the rescues do require adoptees (by contract) to return their rabbits to the shelter should they ever become unable to continue caring for the rabbit. But that only applies to rabbits adopted from their rescue.

This does not apply to open admission shelters. Many of them have to take in any animal that comes to them, they don't have a choice. They might try to help keep an animal from coming in, but if the animal is there, they have to take it. Many do try to avoid euthanizing, but if other rescues are full and animals aren't getting adopted, there can be little choice.
Rescues can usually pick and choose a bit more based on the needs of the rabbits. If they feel a rabbit is in more danger or needs to get out of a situation, they might pick that one over one that is ok in the home. Sometimes there aren't many other options for people. It's not easy to say no to a rabbit, especially if you know what might happen if you don't take them.

Latest posts

Back