Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gelly

Gelly
Reaction score
I'm a new rabbit owner and I wanted to be economical and buy hay by the bale. I bought one from a feed store about a half an hour away from me. It was $20 for a 40 lb. bale. It doesn't look or smell as nice as the Kaytee timothy hay I had originally purchased for my bun. Can anyone tell me if this is usable, good hay? There are also a lot of these floral weed looking things...

Attachments

• IMG_8116 (1).jpg
    IMG_8116 (1).jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8115 (1).jpg
    IMG_8115 (1).jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8114 (1).jpg
    IMG_8114 (1).jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 9
It's difficult to see the photo well.

Some places sell hay that is older or not fresh. Be sure to ask to see the hay before you buy it. Look for fresher, greener looking hay. Sometimes one side of a bale may be sun-bleached but the inside should be green.

I've refused to buy hay that doesn't look good enough.

Here is a bale that costs about $17. It weighs probably over 100 lbs.
upload_2019-9-10_19-16-42.png

It's difficult to see the photo well.

Some places sell hay that is older or not fresh. Be sure to ask to see the hay before you buy it. Look for fresher, greener looking hay. Sometimes one side of a bale may be sun-bleached but the inside should be green.

I've refused to buy hay that doesn't look good enough.

Here is a bale that costs about $17. It weighs probably over 100 lbs.
View attachment 42887

I tried to attach clearer pictures for you to take a look at. I wish I was able to tell on my own but it looks not much like the light green in the hay pic you posted :(

Attachments

• IMG_8112.jpg
    IMG_8112.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8117 (1).jpg
    IMG_8117 (1).jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 9
The biggest thing is whether or not your rabbit will eat it in reasonable quantities. If you ask nicely at a feed store, they'll give you a sample of their hay to have your rabbit try out (usually like a grocery bag's worth of the loose hay that's fallen off of the bales). Do you know what kind of hay it is? I'm not familiar with the local hay in New York... in Texas, we have coastal and when it's fresh and "perfect" it's yellow and just doesn't seem to appeal to rabbits as much as the green hays like orchard and timothy. You simply can't get green hay from any of the feed stores in south Texas, which sucks - I order timothy or orchard from an online retailer, which costs a lot more than the feed store because of shipping but still costs WAY less (and is much fresher) than the pet store garbage.

Latest posts

Back