Is this sore hock ointment safe for my rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gelly

Gelly
Reaction score
I have a male mini rex who has sore hocks. We’ve tried just about everything. I ordered this salve from a popular Etsy company. I sent a picture of it to my vet and he said I shouldn’t use it. He didn’t give a reason and I’m wondering if it’s just to hedge against any possible negative outcome that may come back to haunt him if he gave the OK.

I’ve attached a picture of the salve’s ingredients. Curious what everyone thinks.image.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you, but curious what company was it? Did you get a chance to read the reviews to see if anyone else made comments about using it on their rabbits?

Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you, but curious what company was it? Did you get a chance to read the reviews to see if anyone else made comments about using it on their rabbits?
It's from an Etsy shop called The Well Kept Rabbit. There aren't any reviews since it's a new product.

It seems okay, although I also don’t want to be on the receiving end of any possible negative outcome.
Apollo (who is also a Rex) has sore hocks that are being treated by our vet.
My advice would be to just keep him off any abrasive flooring, such as carpet or slippery floors and wire flooring if you have any. I have a carpeted house, so I’m using three layers of blankets and sheets to keep it plushy and soft, fleece, duvet covers, and old towels.
We were given the advice from the vet, to just keep him on soft floor, something that mimics the softness of dirt, whatever that means. We were also given some metacam to help with the inflammation, because Apollo’s hocks got a little red. The vet told me that if it gets any worse, to come back in, they’ll check on it and decide the next option, which might the bandages or socks. I was also told that you can put some Vaseline on the area, if it’s sore. I haven’t done so yet, because I’d get a hock straight in the face and probably a nip. And a thump and a foot flick. Apollo is dramatic. Sorry, if this is all over the place.

Latest posts

Back