Is this safe to use as litter?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Safe? Yes. It is the shavings that are suspected of emitting harmful phenols (unless kiln-dried). The process used to make the pine pellets makes them safe. But even better is the fact that the pellets absorb odor better and aren't as messy as the shavings (which tend to get everywhere).

I've seen this suggested on many sites during my research as a substrate for a bunny's litter box...but I know pine shavings are bad...so,is this safe to use since it's made from pine? I'd love to be able to use it because it's so cost effective, but I also want to make sure it's safe for my bunny. Thank you!

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/equine-fresh-pine-pellet-stall-bedding-40-lb?cm_vc=-10005

Maybe you've already done all the searching and looking for alternatives. Is there any way you can obtain hay for your rabbit! Timothy or Oat hay? If not, you can do without, but if you can, it's good for the rabbit. Y

Usually, if it has been pelletized, it's been kiln treated and is safe. Pine shavings are okay also if they have been kiln dried--it removes the phenols from pine, but no amount of treatment will make cedar safe. I have been using kiln dried pine for more than 15 years.

Latest posts

Back