Is this ringworm?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Momoxgurby

Reaction score
Hi every bunny, our bun Georgie has had these bumpy, dry lesions on the right side of her neck for about 3 months now. We took her to the vet in August and the vet said she thought it was just damaged hair follicles from previous sub Q fluids. I would think it would be on both sides though if it was that.
The area has gotten bigger and is just starting to travel behind her ears. And we also noticed a “U” shapes patch of hair loss right above her genitals this past week. About 3cm height x 2cm wide. There is a thin crusty, thick, scaly lesion in the middle of the “U.”
I have a photo of the bumpy skin around her neck. It’s reddish because I used some diluted 7% betadine. Is this ringworm? I put a little topical clotrimazole cream on both areas today.
Thanks!5BDFBD78-DF41-4EE4-8F24-FCD881F14A64.jpegB56C90D5-0CCF-42E7-8B9A-DF41CA5BE5C1.jpeg5BDFBD78-DF41-4EE4-8F24-FCD881F14A64.jpeg

Attachments

• D6EDF4AF-7344-4B38-A4BE-823328F28E97.jpeg
    D6EDF4AF-7344-4B38-A4BE-823328F28E97.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 3
I haven’t had experience with ringworm I would take her to the vet immediately. Whatever it is doesn’t look good

If there is also fur loss and skin abnormalities around the genitals, syphilis will be another potential. Syphilis can be asymptomatic for literally years and suddenly show clinical signs spontaneously. It can be passed through birth (i.e. infected mother). Anecdotally, I know of a couple situations where syphilis becoming symptomatic has coincided with ringworm-- whether it is coincidences or something about the rabbit's immune system getting taxed and making the rabbit more susceptible to ringworm, I do not know.

Regardless of ringworm, syphilis, or another condition, this does require proper rabbit veterinary assessment and treatment: Choosing a rabbit veterinarian - WabbitWiki

Poor little bub, definitely needs another trip to the vet. From my experience with ringworm the skin was more flakey with loss of hair, whereas hers looks more bumpy, almost blistered.

Some types of ringworm will glow orange under uv light, not all fungus does though. If it does then you know if not there is still a chance. And a vet can check everything. Hope it clears up soon

Latest posts

Back