Is this normal?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellissian

Reaction score
Is it normal for a rabbit not to dig or chew anything at all?

Hope has'nt done either one since I brought her home. Milly was'nt a digger but a definate chewer, he loved cardboard and ripping yellow pages up. But Hope all she wants to do is eat and spends most of the day begging for food. I am still slowly introducing her pellets but she has free hay.

I find it strange, I thought they were natural pass times for rabbits.

Like Crystal says, all rabbits are different.

Some like hiding in small places, some are adventurous, some are quiet, some like to dig, some like to chew, some like run, some like to jump, some like a fuss, some like to be independent, some lick, some nibble, some are hyper.

She's just being Hope :) But you might find that things change when she hits adolescence, and then she might start digging and/or chewing, but again, she might not.

My experience seems to be that bunnies that are stimulated from an earlier age are generally more likely to need to entertain themselves with digging and chewing. And given that Hope was clearly understimulated early on, this may have a factor, but as she is more stimulated as she gets older, you might find she becomes more interested in those passtimes.

It might also be that her current energy is going into putting on weight and getting healthier, than into playing.

All of my bunnies are diffrent. Lucky my Mini Lop digs at everything where Star & Emma don't (atlest I haven't seen) dig at anything and Brabados my buck will dig at anything till it is under him then he make "love" to it :thud:

Yes, I think you right about the stimulation thing. Hope was'nt given any at all where as Milly was born in a school and was constantly handled and played with.

Hope is coming up 14 weeks old (the same age Milly was :() should'nt she be showing adolesence by now?

I suppose Hope is just happy having food and a clean place to live in.

Boys go through it earlier than girls. Boys can have their testicles drop at 8 weeks, but generally it is about 3-4 months. Girls tend to go into it at about 4-5 months.

Ok so I lied! :shock:

Why do animals and children for that matter have a knack on contradicting what you say! :X

Hope does chew.........infact she chews a lot! Just look at how she has devoured her basket!

HPIM0336.jpg

Pretty soon her toys are going to need a new home!

some rabbits love to dig and chew, some love to toss their toys around, some love to shred paper, etc. i guess just like us humans, we all like to do different things. as long as your bun is eating normally then he must be just one of those rabbits who isn't all that into chewing or digging. if he went off his food and refused to put anything at all in his mouth however, that would be more of a concern because it could indicate problems with his mouth or teeth. but as long as he is eating normally then yeah, nothing to worry about :)

have you tried tempting your bun with a grassy tunnel or filled a cardboard box up with shredded paper? it must just be that he's not found anything that excites him enough to chew or dig at.

Latest posts

Back