Is this normal with 4 week old kits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bojay

Reaction score
Carmen's litter of 5 holland lop kits are all healthy and active. They are all eating and drinking and in the process of weaning. However all at once all the kits developed cecotropes and some of them are sticking to their fluffy baby bunny fur. I had to wash a few butts but the whole episode lasted only one or two days and now every kit is fine.

My only thought is that maybe they got a hold of one of their mom streats (mini-shredded wheat squares) but all 5 of them seems unlikely. I hand feed her the treats when I'm doing my chores. Other than that, I'm not sure what would have caused a sudden outbreak of sticky poo.

Is there a cause that I have overlooked and is there anything I could do to prevent this?

Are you feeding any other treats? Mini wheats shouldn't do it as long as they aren't the sugared kind. Do you feed hay? Any stress around the house? They could be stressed out.

Sharon

"Pancake" butts are very common in Holland kits. They'll outgrow it. A little vaseline on their butts will help to prevent stick age. Cutting should be done VERY carefully.

In severe cases, pancake butt can lead to death due to a blockage of the intestines as the poop heals like cement over the rectum, so do be sure to check bunny butts daily.

Pam

Thank you Pam. Now that you used the;)proper term (pancake butt), Iremember seeing you write about this before. Thanks again. LOL. They're all doing just fine today.

Latest posts

Back