Is this normal or should I schedule a vet visit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiraeth.21

Reaction score
I noticed what looked like a bald spot when I was petting him. If I brush his fur up, it's thin and the skin looks pinkish. Should I take him to a vet or is this normal? It's only on the back of his head and where his ears meet his head. I have seen him scratching his ears but nothing else.

Attachments

• 20200526_003157.jpg
    20200526_003157.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200526_003148.jpg
    20200526_003148.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 5
It looks like he’s been scratching. Is there any other symptoms, such as dandruff? You can call or email your vet with a picture attached, and see what they think. I’m thinking it could be mites but I could be wrong

Hi, this is typical spot for fur mites as you describe it, I would email your vet with these pictures but it's not uncommon now is time for them getting busy and many rabbits can have them, even home rabbits living indoors, they can get them from hay. There's you can get prescribed medicine from your vet or buy online from a pet store something like this Beaphar anti parasite spot on for rabbits I can't see your location here's an example so you can look up surely you can find it locally

https://www.beaphar.com/en-gb/product/Beaphar-Anti-Parasite-Spot-On-for-Rabbit-and-Guinea-Pigs
Beaphar Anti-Parasite Spot On for Rabbits, Guinea pigs, Ferrets and Rats is an effective, veterinary strength medicine containing ivermectin to treat lice, fleas, mange mites, other mites and roundworms in small animals.

Rabbits normally have pretty thin of fur there. The skin looks healthy and clean; I wouldn't worry about it

Latest posts

Back