Is this kit overfed? Looks bloated and can't even crawl properly

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookiesncream

Reaction score
This kit was born from a litter of two, sadly the other kit didn't make it past labor. As a single kit will this be a problem? I'm afraid the worst could happen since other sources seem to tell overfeeding risks poisoning from the undigested milk.

What to do guys?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-05-09-20-17-52-940_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-05-09-20-17-52-940_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_2022-05-09-20-17-14-631_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-05-09-20-17-14-631_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 10
I just tried to stimulate it to pee and it sprayed a lot! Does this mean I need to always stimulate it to pee? How often if so?

I have heard from others on the forum that kits (especially singles) can get overfed which can cause splayed legs and other problems in the future especially if it’s too bloated to crawl. I’ve never bred bunnies so can’t personally tell from the photo if your kit is being overfed but it does look like it’s being very well fed. Maybe you can skip a feeding to make sure it’s not getting fed too much...

Hope someone with experience can weigh in on this like @JBun or @SableSteel

He looks fine. Very healthy, just a well fed little rabbit. You don't need to stimulate it to pee. Just make sure the nest has ample traction (eg; a good layer of hay or shavings on the bottom, with no plastic, wood or metal showing through) so that he can develop those leg muscles and won't get splay leg. I've never heard that overfeeding causes risk from undigested milk? Singletons do fine all the time. I have a singleton right now about 12 days old (from a little of four, but the other three was one stillborn and two peanuts) (don't mind the ugly floor, I was in the middle of cleaning) 1652349916771.png

This kit was born from a litter of two, sadly the other kit didn't make it past labor. As a single kit will this be a problem? I'm afraid the worst could happen since other sources seem to tell overfeeding risks poisoning from the undigested milk.

What to do guys?
Hi I just want to ask an update to you baby bunny how is she? I'm trying to check online about my new kits bloated tummies there's three of them. And it's keeping me worried what to do, if they're fine or no.Thanks

Attachments

• IMG20220908120959.jpg
    IMG20220908120959.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
First make sure mom is stimulating them to pee/poop, and that having a bladder too full isn't why they look bloated. But if it's from overfeeding, if the mom is feeding them more than once a day, you could try pulling the nest box out from mom's enclosure so they only get fed once. That may help. You'll just have to very closely monitor them and their weight to make sure they're still getting enough milk each day.

Hi I just want to ask an update to you baby bunny how is she? I'm trying to check online about my new kits bloated tummies there's three of them. And it's keeping me worried what to do, if they're fine or no.Thanks
She's fine and adopted now. I actually have to put a brace (paper duct tape) on her legs for 2 weeks because her legs were splayed. Here's her pics with brace and her condition afterwards. She turned out fine after all haha

Attachments

• IMG_20220525_183604.jpg
    IMG_20220525_183604.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220621_143247.jpg
    IMG_20220621_143247.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back