Is this kit overfed? Looks bloated and can't even crawl properly

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

cookiesncream

Reaction score
This kit was born from a litter of two, sadly the other kit didn't make it past labor. As a single kit will this be a problem? I'm afraid the worst could happen since other sources seem to tell overfeeding risks poisoning from the undigested milk.

What to do guys?

Attachments

cookiesncream

Reaction score
I just tried to stimulate it to pee and it sprayed a lot! Does this mean I need to always stimulate it to pee? How often if so?

Moonshadow

Reaction score
I have heard from others on the forum that kits (especially singles) can get overfed which can cause splayed legs and other problems in the future especially if it’s too bloated to crawl. I’ve never bred bunnies so can’t personally tell from the photo if your kit is being overfed but it does look like it’s being very well fed. Maybe you can skip a feeding to make sure it’s not getting fed too much...

Hope someone with experience can weigh in on this like @JBun or @SableSteel

SableSteel

Reaction score
He looks fine. Very healthy, just a well fed little rabbit. You don't need to stimulate it to pee. Just make sure the nest has ample traction (eg; a good layer of hay or shavings on the bottom, with no plastic, wood or metal showing through) so that he can develop those leg muscles and won't get splay leg. I've never heard that overfeeding causes risk from undigested milk? Singletons do fine all the time. I have a singleton right now about 12 days old (from a little of four, but the other three was one stillborn and two peanuts) (don't mind the ugly floor, I was in the middle of cleaning) 1652349916771.png

Latest posts