is this inhumaine?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ever try taking a warm towle and wraping him/her in it and just letting his/her front end stick out?

We have an awesome new vet who does it for us, by herself! I'll have to post a pic. Basically she holds them with one hand under their belly and one tucking their tailbone under so that they can't kick. Then she squats down and tucks the rabbitinto a position on her lap where they are resting on their tailbone and their leggies are sticking out. Then she calmly trims the nails and the bunnies stay perfectly still.

She rocks. I'll try and find the video.

MyBabyBunnies wrote:
I hate the bunny burito, it works ok for Zoey but my larger boys are impossible to do using a burrito.

I have a storage tower that I place in the middle of the kitchen with lots of room all around it to move and cover the top with a towel. I place the bunny on the storage tower and stand on the opposite side of the foot that I want to cutand with my left hand, I reach under their chin and hold one paw. With my right hand I take the nail cutters and cut. It takes only a few seconds to do the foot. To do the opposite front foot, I place my right hand under their chin with the nail clippers in that hand because I'm right handed and pull out and hold his front foot with my left hand and clip.

To to the back feet, I bend right over top then. use my left hand to pull out and hold the feet, and use my right hand to clip them. Bending over helps to keep the rabbit still.

Although it looks really awkward when I do it because I am hunched over them in odd directions to try and confine them, it works like a darn and I've been doing it this way for 8 months now. I can even get their dew claws like this.

Would you ever consider posting a picture of your technique? I can't picture this.

Wait the rabbit is on top of the tower! I thought you put them into the storage tower! So they stay still because they are up high is that right?

I don't have a picture of it right now.

Yes they are on top the storage tower. I also do it in a strange place because they are less likely to try to jump off. If I do it in a familiar place, they tend to be harder to hold.

Good thought. We actually had the most success bonding the bunnies on our kitchen table. We put a plastic table cloth out and an old comforter over that. It is also good so that the humans don't get sore backs trying to handle them!

Latest posts

Back