Is this good for a bunny set up?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OreoTheMiniLop

Reaction score
I was wondering if what I have chose for a new set up was good. It may take a while to upgrade to it but I really want to do that!
Pen- Frisco Wire Dog Exercise Pen with Step-Through Door, Black, 36-in - Chewy.com
Litter Box- Van Ness Enclosed Cat Litter Pan, Large White - Chewy.com (is covered okay????)
Floor- https://www.amazon.com/IncStores-Ex...1&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_0&th=1&psc=1
(I'll only be changing up the basics because when i got her I beleived about the small cages corner litter box and so on)

Having an exercise pen is always a good idea with a rabbit. There are so many uses for it (aside from just a cage).
I discourage closed litter boxes. They can trap the ammonia fumes and rabbit's have such delicate respiratory systems. If you are concerned about stuff being dug out (only a problem with some - not most - rabbits) then you can use something similar to this:
1592015392091.png

The foam pads will be fine for some rabbits, but some will chew them -- if they do, it is dangerous. They are not urine-proof in that urine can seep through the seams. (Otherwise they are wipeable.) If you are looking for a washable floor, you can put a piece of rolled linoleum down (be sure edges can't be accessed). In fact, it wouldn't be a bad idea to put lino on top of the foam pieces. The foam would provide some natural cushioning while the lino would be urine-proof.

Pen - OK but get the tallest one and get two, one is way too small.
Litter tray - no, get a large plastic tray, like an under bed storage box.
Floor - yes, apart from problem pointed out above if bunny is not perfectly litter trained. If you use this floor, have the edges outside of the pen. If you find they chew it you could cover with a sheet.

@Diane R brings up a good point. One pen made into a square creates just 16 sq feet. But if you make use of an existing wall or a corner, then the space can be doubled. (Otherwise 2 pens can be used.) Here are a couple examples... the second example could have been made even larger if it were pulled out into the room more so that the 3 panels were not against the wall but only the end panel was against the wall. (Hopefully that makes sense.)

Attachments

• sams x pen.jpg
    sams x pen.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 6
  • penelope-cage_1_orig.jpg
    penelope-cage_1_orig.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 8
The blanket is microfiber not fleece. I'd instead get some cheap fleece blankets from WalMart or just buy it by the yard from a fabric store. The microfiber blanket is likely to get chewed (fleece may too, but it is safer).

I see that when one googles "fleece blanket" lots of microfiber blankets show instead. :(

Am looking for photos to show the difference....

(I would think 36" height is fine for the ex-pen. It would be the exceptional rabbit to hop over that. Taller is safer, but the 48" height pens are very, very heavy. I cannot lift and carry them any distance.)

Last edited:
Here I found some photos of items I've made with fleece fabric. The photo with the guinea pig shows a bit of a close up view showing how their is no "fluff" like there is in microfiber blankets. The photo of the 4 cuddle bags with polka dots also shows the fabric texture well.

Hopefully this shows the difference between fleece and that microfiber stuff. The microfiber blankets also bunch up real easy and can snag on a bunny's nails. The fleece is stiffer and so works better for flooring.

None of these things were made for rabbits. ;) They were for hedgehog, rats, guinea pigs. I was just wanting you to see that fleece is different (better) than a microfiber blanket.

1592243087686.png 1592243167220.png
1592243279515.png 1592243577078.png

Final Desicion
Pen- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0758FQTV7/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 (2 pens)
Floor- I found a cheap fleece at a yard sale a while ago that I never used so I will use that
Litter Box- Can anybody link me to a good clear storage bin that could be converted into a litter box (off of amazon please)?
Fleece will slide on laminate? Also it would still be a hard floor with just one layer of fleece... Under bed storage boxes: Amazon.com: HOMZ Snaplock Clear Storage Bin with Lid, Large-41 Quart, White, 2 Pack: Home & Kitchen

Some rabbits may hesitate to hop over the sides of such a high-sided litter box. The ones that Diane linked are a better height. If you go in to a Walmart, you can get similar for cheap. Online they only show multiples, but in the store you can get a single one of these for around $4:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilit...se-of-10/44785795?variantFieldId=actual_color
Do you have photo of your fleece blanket?

Latest posts

Back