Is this cake safe for bunnys? (A bunny cake that they can eat, not for humans)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunLover

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Is this rabbit treat recipe safe for rabbits? I want to make Bun a little cake, Thanks,
Here and the ingredients

Ingredients
  • ¼ cup rolled oats
  • 1 tbsp. parsley leaves
  • 1 Romaine lettuce leaf
  • 3 tbsp. shredded carrot + 1 tbsp. for top
  • 1/4 overripe banana
Supplies
  • Food processor
  • Mixing bowl
  • 3-inch round metal dough cutter
  • Baking sheet
  • Fork
  • Spoon
Yield:
One Carrot Cake
Serving size:
One treat per rabbit
Prep time:
5 minutes
Bake time:
15 minutes

The ingredients are fine. I'd be more concerned about the quantity. It says it makes "one cake" but then says "one treat" per rabbit. So is one cake considered one treat? If so, then that is too much to feed a rabbit at one time.

For example, the oats alone (1/4 cup) are enough for about 4 to 8 days worth of treats. The carrots are 2 to 4 days worth of treats. The banana is 4 days worth of treats. That's all individual days-- meaning that if a rabbit had a day's allowance of oats, he should not have any other treat that day. So when they are combined together, one cake would be the equivalent of 10 to 12 days worth of treats.

The ingredients are fine. I'd be more concerned about the quantity. It says it makes "one cake" but then says "one treat" per rabbit. So is one cake considered one treat? If so, then that is too much to feed a rabbit at one time.

For example, the oats alone (1/4 cup) are enough for about 4 to 8 days worth of treats. The carrots are 2 to 4 days worth of treats. The banana is 4 days worth of treats. That's all individual days-- meaning that if a rabbit had a day's allowance of oats, he should not have any other treat that day. So when they are combined together, one cake would be the equivalent of 10 to 12 days worth of treats.
I was not going to give him it in one treat, Only a bite now and then. Thank you for telling me that the the ingredients are fine, I will make it

An important point to mention in case you aren't aware, or maybe forgot, is introducing new foods gradually into a rabbits diet. This is to minimize the chances of it upsetting the microflora balance in the cecum and causing mushy poop(improperly formed cecotropes) or other digestive upset. So if your bun isn't already used to all of those ingredients, it's best to start out with an even smaller portion than the normal treat size, to make sure it doesn't cause digestive upset for your bun, before increasing the amount to a normal treat size, which treat size is based on a rabbits weight and digestive sensitivity.

Even better would be to first introduce each individual food into the diet, one at a time, starting with a small amount, a couple of weeks before trying the cake treat out. This will give enough time to slowly introduce each food. Trying only one thing at a time and starting with a small amount, is so that if your rabbit does end up being senstive to any particular food, then you'll know exactly which one it is before the portion is increased and it causes too much digestive upset or progresses to a more severe digestive problem.

An important point to mention in case you aren't aware, or maybe forgot, is introducing new foods gradually into a rabbits diet. This is to minimize the chances of it upsetting the microflora balance in the cecum and causing mushy poop(improperly formed cecotropes) or other digestive upset. So if your bun isn't already used to all of those ingredients, it's best to start out with an even smaller portion than the normal treat size, to make sure it doesn't cause digestive upset for your bun, before increasing the amount to a normal treat size, which treat size is based on a rabbits weight and digestive sensitivity.

Even better would be to first introduce each individual food into the diet, one at a time, starting with a small amount, a couple of weeks before trying the cake treat out. This will give enough time to slowly introduce each food. Trying only one thing at a time and starting with a small amount, is so that if your rabbit does end up being senstive to any particular food, then you'll know exactly which one it is before the portion is increased and it causes too much digestive upset or progresses to a more severe digestive problem.
Oh, okay, He has had everything except the oats. (I think) But I thought oats were bad for them. I guess not though. Thank you @JBun and @Blue eyes that helped me out a lot.

Oats are a grain, so high carb and considered a treat food. Which means should be limited to treat amounts, and only fed if it doesn't cause mushy poop or other digestive issues, or unwanted weight gain for your rabbit. I've tried them before on an elderly bun that needed help keeping weight on, but it caused mushy poop with her, even with the small amount tried, so I stopped feeding them.

Like with any treat food, fed in moderation, gradually introduced into the diet, and only small amounts. And only if well tolerated and it doesn't cause mushy poop or other digestive upset. Also, only if a rabbit isn't overweight.

Hi guys,
Is this rabbit treat recipe safe for rabbits? I want to make Bun a little cake, Thanks,
Here and the ingredients

Ingredients
  • ¼ cup rolled oats
  • 1 tbsp. parsley leaves
  • 1 Romaine lettuce leaf
  • 1/4 overripe banana
Supplies
  • Food processor
  • Mixing bowl
  • Baking sheet
  • Fork
  • Spoon
Yield:
One Carrot Cake
Serving size:
One treat per rabbit
Prep time:
5 minutes
Bake time:
15 minutes
I would like to make these. What temperature for baking.

Hi guys,
Here and the ingredients

Ingredients
  • ¼ cup rolled oats
  • 1 tbsp. parsley leaves
  • 1 Romaine lettuce leaf
  • 1/4 overripe banana
Supplies
  • Food processor
  • Mixing bowl
  • Baking sheet
  • Fork
  • Spoon
Yield:
One Carrot Cake
Serving size:
One treat per rabbit
Prep time:
5 minutes
Bake time:
15 minutes
Be sure the cake is completely dry before storing to adviod mold.

Bake the cake inside the dough cutter at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.

Hi guys,
Here and the ingredients

Ingredients
  • ¼ cup rolled oats
  • 1 tbsp. parsley leaves
  • 1 Romaine lettuce leaf
  • 1/4 overripe banana
Supplies
  • Food processor
  • Mixing bowl
  • Baking sheet
  • Fork
  • Spoon
Yield:
One Carrot Cake
Serving size:
One treat per rabbit
Prep time:
5 minutes
Bake time:
15 minutes
Add some timothy hay flour. Little too much sugar otherwise. Should be good.

Latest posts

Back