Is this cage ok?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So approximately 170 x 60 cm that would be fine and you can also use your walls so extend that area significantly if you wish. Not sure what high if your rabbit is a jumper they can jump really high so I wouldn't take 60cm but really depends on your rabbit.

So approximately 170 x 60 cm that would be fine and you can also use your walls so extend that area significantly if you wish. Not sure what high if your rabbit is a jumper they can jump really high so I wouldn't take 60cm but really depends on your rabbit.

Thank you so much. yeah he likes to jump...what should i put on top of the cage?

Cage size needs to be considered along with out-of-cage exercise time. If bunny will be getting about 5 hours outside of the cage, then it is large enough. As a square it is about 16 sq ft. As a rectangle it's about 12 sq ft. Neither of those sizes are sufficient unless there is out-of-cage time for binkies and dashes.

If you use a wall as part of the cage (as Poopy Poo mentioned), then the area can easily become 30 sq ft and plenty of space even without time out of the cage.

Here is an example of a cage that makes use of part of a wall.

I also agree that it wouldn't do to get the lower height. Get the medium or taller one.

Attachments

• sams x pen.jpg
    sams x pen.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 15
Cage size needs to be considered along with out-of-cage exercise time. If bunny will be getting about 5 hours outside of the cage, then it is large enough. As a square it is about 16 sq ft. As a rectangle it's about 12 sq ft. Neither of those sizes are sufficient unless there is out-of-cage time for binkies and dashes.

If you use a wall as part of the cage (as Poopy Poo mentioned), then the area can easily become 30 sq ft and plenty of space even without time out of the cage.

Here is an example of a cage that makes use of part of a wall.

I also agree that it wouldn't do to get the lower height. Get the medium or taller one.

Thank you both for giving advice about the wall, that's a great idea. I'm mostly always at home, 5 hours is not a problem. If i use the wall is it gonna be firmly secure so he won't be able to escape? Do i need to use something to connect the cage and the wall?

It depends on how your bunny is going to react to the enclosure. When he stays put and does his usual stuff without jumping or squeezing out then there is no need for you to connect the pen parts to the wall. If he attempts to escape though, you might want to find something to place just outside the pen borders for counterweight.

I've always put screw eyes (2 per end) into the walls to secure the pens to. Using cheap drywall anchors in addition to the screw eyes is optional - will make their hold to the wall much more secure but I've found that anchors are rarely necessary.

To use a screw eye, use a very small drill bit to make a starter hole and then screw the eye in by hand. If your pen has a door for you to get through, you can just zip-tie the end of the fence to the screw eyes... If you need to be able to open the end to get into the pen, you can clip it with carabiners instead.

Fwiw, taller is always better with pens in my opinion. In addition to thwarting jumps, a taller pen allows more freedom to add large toys, tunnels and/or cardboard boxes that could otherwise be used to escape.

Fortunately, there is a very cheap and effective solution. Get something like posterboard or cardboard and tie it around the top of the inside of the pen, going down a foot or more from the top. Once your rabbit reaches the bottom of the barrier, he won't be able to get footholds to make it all the way to the top and will have no choice but to drop down back into the pen.

Check other cages here:-

https://www.flemishgiantrabbit.com/indoor-rabbit-hutch/
https://www.flemishgiantrabbit.com/flemish-giant-cage-to-buy/

Latest posts

Back