Is this brand of hay good?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleEskimo

Reaction score
Hey dudes, I was looking at the Pets at Home website for toys and food and that as I need to stock up. I saw this hay by Burgess
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/supa-forage-excel-natural-grass-1kg-15650
I was just wondering if its any good for Rosie :)
I do love burgess, both my rabbit, Rosie, and my two guinea pigs live off their nugget food as I feel its the best for them that I can get hold of.
I was just wondering if it was any good. As I have two guinea pigs and theres a lot of talk about types of hay that are good/bad for guinea pigs and im not sure if its the same with rabbits you see :)
Thanks

Grass hay is good for rabbits only as a treat. It lacks certain minerals (like phosphorous) and other nutrients (like choline) that rabbits need to grow and maintain health. Be sure to feed pellets too!:D

www.naturalrabbitfood.com

David. wrote:
Grass hay is good for rabbits only as a treat. It lacks certain minerals (like phosphorous) and other nutrients (like choline) that rabbits need to grow and maintain health. Be sure to feed pellets too!:D

http://www.naturalrabbitfood.com
Rabbits should have unlimited hay, grass hay is very good for adult rabbits. Under 6 months it's recomended too feed Alfalfa and slowly add other hays like timothy. Hay should smell good, if it has no smell or is musty don't use it.

You are absolutely right that adult rabbits need lots of fresh hay that is sweet smelling and has a beautiful green color. It should be their primary component in their diet. You are also right that alfalfa should be feed when rabbits are younger and grass hays should be feed when they are older. This is primarily because older rabbits don't need the calories that younger rabbits do and most pellets are too high in calories. In fact most pellets are too high in starch and are bad for baby rabbits and they may cause diarrhea or digestive upset. This is why most people recommend feeding grass hay to provide more fiber and prevent diarrhea. However, baby rabbits need the calories, minerals, and other nutrients that are found in a balanced pellet. Furthermore they should eat a high fat baby rabbit food that helps them get the nutrition more like momma's milk (this was discovered over 60 years ago). Also, feeding adult pet rabbits exclusively hay will cause mineral and nutritional deficiencies that lead to degenerative diseases like muscular dystrophy (caused by a lack of vitamin E, Choline, and minerals like phosphorous and others). Of course rabbits can eat exclusively grass hay for a while but long term health depends upon balanced nutrition.
for more information on what to feed baby rabbits visit:
http://www.naturalrabbitfood.com/baby-rabbit/

Hi David, and welcome to RO!

I don't believe anyone here is recommending Elle (the OP) put her rabbit on a pellet-free diet. In fact, most members on this forum promote a balanced diet ofhay, pellets, and a variety of fresh greens and vegetables.

Elle, being from Canada,I'm not familiar with Burgess's hay. But if theyproduce a quality pellet, then very likely they're hay will be too. Just so long as it's green in colour, fresh smelling in odour, and not too dusty, it should be just fine.

Hope that helps!

Rue

Hey :) My rabbit is 10 months old so I don't think I need to worry about Alfalfa :)
Burgess is a veterinary recommended and designed food for rabbit and guinea pigs and chinchillas :D
Its just I was considering this because the hay in the small pet shop down the road has a bad selection of hay. Its always brown and horrible :/ So I saw this and thought it looked excellent. But I always get mixed up with which hay is good for babies and not so good for adults and was wary because it might make my bun fat and not give her the right things but thankyou everyone for clearing that up for me :D
I give my bun both hay and some pellets (I've been told by the vet not to give her too much of the pellets) and I give her any bits of veg I can find in the fridge :)

Latest posts

Back