Is this bad bunny poo?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blinkiebunny

Reaction score
Hi,
I’m mum to Blinkie, an almost 4 year old seal point lop, beautiful house bunny. She’s passing a lot of very smelly gas and has passed these two poops (right after she did a dozen normal poops). She’s been eating and drinking as normal (hay, grass, some greens and probiotic pellets).

Anyone any advice pls, I’m worried?

huge thanks

Jennie

Attachments

• F1082680-DE0B-44CB-8C99-6023285C0D9E.jpeg
    F1082680-DE0B-44CB-8C99-6023285C0D9E.jpeg
    52.6 KB · Views: 21
  • D4F31D7B-09AD-4ACE-8D81-52E715B32FC5.jpeg
    D4F31D7B-09AD-4ACE-8D81-52E715B32FC5.jpeg
    52.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 09C6DDBE-7FB2-4E7F-BC77-331402F7929B.jpeg
    09C6DDBE-7FB2-4E7F-BC77-331402F7929B.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 20
The first two photos appear to be uneaten cecotropes. The other one looks perhaps to be smaller poos showing some GI stress. Has there been a change in her greens? Change in anything else around the house that could be stressing her? Is she shedding?

Uneaten cecals can be from a too rich diet. Can you provide more detail on diet? Types of pellets, types of greens, type of hay, how much of each?

I'd encourage more hay eating. Refresh the hay throughout the day to get her enticed to eat it. Be sure to have a bowl of water too and keep a close eye on those poos.

The first two photos appear to be uneaten cecotropes. The other one looks perhaps to be smaller poos showing some GI stress. Has there been a change in her greens? Change in anything else around the house that could be stressing her? Is she shedding?

I'd encourage more hay eating. Refresh the hay throughout the day to get her enticed to eat it. Be sure to have a bowl of water too and keep a close eye on those poos.
Thanks. The ceotropes ones are MASSIVE, much much bigger than usual and they stink. She’s been eating a lot of hay today, so I’ll keep doing that. She stayed with my parents whilst I was on holiday but she has done that before and been very happy there. That’s been the only change recently

You mention that the cecotropes are bigger than usual?? One should normally never even see any cecotropes. Are you used to seeing excess cecals?

You mention that the cecotropes are bigger than usual?? One should normally never even see any cecotropes. Are you used to seeing excess cecals?
I’ve seen the odd one before, but nothing like this. She was under my bed pretty much since 4am with awful smelly gas. 12 hours later she comes running out, heading to her litter area (in the next room which she uses religiously) then I think accidentally did those two on the carpet on the way

Hmmm... stress can certainly contribute to tummy issues. Perhaps she got too much of something rich in her diet as well at your parents.
Can you describe her daily diet?

Hmmm... stress can certainly contribute to tummy issues. Perhaps she got too much of something rich in her diet as well at your parents.
Can you describe her daily diet?
We give her pellets in the morning about 630am and at 1830pm, she has a bowl of water and a bottle. She has a large bowl of ready grass and the same of hay. There is straw in her house too. We then give her green veg once a day, usually broccoli, or cavalo Nero and carrot (but not carrot daily).

How much and what brand of pellets?

I had to check what readigrass is. Apparently that is only available in the UK. From what I've been reading (maybe some other UKers can chime in) it is extremely rich and is supposed to be used more as an occasional treat and not daily. It also mentioned that readigrass can make their poos smaller and darker because it is so rich.

Both broccoli and kale are debated upon as to whether or not they should be fed every day. Some say they are ok, others say it is better to limit those to just a couple times per week. Given that your rabbit is having something going on, I'd consider introducing some other greens that are known to be safe for daily use. Basil, green or red leaf lettuce, coriander, mint... are all known to be safe for daily feeding.

Any day she gets carrot, it should be just a 1" slice.

Not sure how much is a "large bowl," but bunny should eat her body size in hay every day.

Thanks. It’s half a handful of dual care pellets a day, the ones pictured below. Also the hay is about the right size, thanks. Will stop the grass and change the greens. Thanks for this. I’m so worried. She keeps making a sort of sighing/snuffling noise too every now and again?!

Attachments

• 73C511A7-380C-4021-985D-67AB294F1267.png
    73C511A7-380C-4021-985D-67AB294F1267.png
    146.5 KB · Views: 7
So she went to the vet last week? Was something going on or was it because of the poos you showed in the photos? Why did the vet put her on the critical care food?

[Harrington optimum was formerly Wagg/Harrington and is on that link as a so-so food because of its low fibre and not-so-great ingredients. ]

My parents took her, she started doing tiny little rice crispy like poos along with ones like this. The vet said she didn’t seem bloated and to try this food. I’m concerned because although the rice crispy like poos have stopped, these big stinky sloppier ones haven’t

I would suggest, since she's already off of the Harrington food and has been on the specialty food, to look at the chart I linked and decide on a new, healthier brand of pellets. Then, at the right time, I would work on slowly transitioning her to the new pellets by mixing the current food with the new. (Did the vet say how long to keep her on the Dualcare?) She should be getting 1/4 cup of pellets per day (or half of that at each feeding if you feed her twice per day).

It sounds like she has been on a rich diet that is causing those poos. By making the adjustments mentioned, that should get her back on track.

Broccoli isn't good for rabbits at all... It causes a lot of bloating and gas

Latest posts

Back