Is this an emergency?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funnybunnymummy

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Gus (5-year-old, 8.5 lb, neutered, New Zealand cross) has been on injectable penicillin G since last Friday (URI). Tonight the needle popped off the syringe while I was administering it and the entire dose ended up on his fur. I've done my best to wash it off with a wet cloth--I soaked the fur pretty much to the skin, then dried it with a towel, and then the hair dryer. But I'm worried about him grooming himself tonight and ingesting the penicillin and getting sick or dying.

Advice please?

Thanks!

Rue

Thanks, Watermelons. I was hoping you'd be online! :)

I *think* I got it all off, but it's hard to say when you're dealing with white liquid on white fur. Sigh.

I will give a dose of both probiotics and simethicone (along with his regular injection) before putting him to bed. Ugh. I doubt I'll sleep well tonight worrying about him. At least we're going back to the vet tomorrow for a check-up.

BTW, how are your two monsters doing?

Rue

Thanks, Watermelons. I was hoping you'd be online! :)

I *think* I got it all off, but it's hard to say when you're dealing with white liquid on white fur. Sigh.

I will give a dose of both probiotics and simethicone (along with his regular injection) before putting him to bed. Ugh. I doubt I'll sleep well tonight worrying about him. At least we're going back to the vet tomorrow for a check-up.

BTW, how are your two monsters doing?

Rue
--sorry to be tearse,--my disabilities are messing with me again,--might I inquire as to the reason for pen/g injections,-and are you syringe feeding-??--pen-g,-is the only penicillin designed/suitable for lagamorphs--though there are other antibiotics,--with the probotics,simethicone it sounds like you are heads up about the issues related to rabbits---the spillage should not pose a problem other than a missed dose and I hope all is well at the exotic dvm --sincerely james waller :hearts::dutch:nurse::hearts:

Gus has had a chronic URI and after trying a couple other antibiotics (Baytril, Doxycycline) we did a swab of his nose and sent that off to the lab for a culture. Came back with Moraxella (think I spelled that right) which was resistant to the aforementioned antibiotics, but was susceptible to Pen-G.

Anyway, he was bright eyed and ready for breakfast this morning, so it looks like no harm done. Phew!

Thanks!

Rue

Gus has had a chronic URI and after trying a couple other antibiotics (Baytril, Doxycycline) we did a swab of his nose and sent that off to the lab for a culture. Came back with Moraxella (think I spelled that right) which was resistant to the aforementioned antibiotics, but was susceptible to Pen-G.

Anyway, he was bright eyed and ready for breakfast this morning, so it looks like no harm done. Phew!

Thanks!

Rue
--nasal culture,,blood test--definitely got the bad guy cornered--excellent,--these little characters are sure up-against the odds--here is a link you might entertain-- http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org --sincerely james waller :hyper::headflick::bunnieskiss:great:

Latest posts

Back