Is this abnormal? *kinda graphic pic*

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serenity

Reaction score
We noticed it yesterday but today it seems a little worse she is pooping a lot like normalshe has been eating alfalfa but now we just gave her only her hay back she was really skinny when we got her which is why she was eating alfalfa..today we changed her bedding from pine to aspen I dont know if that would of caused this?

DSC01911.JPG

Is it coming from the anus? Looks prolapsed,that can happen when an animal strains too hard to push either much too hard or too runny poop out. A bit of the 'insides' will poke out a little, because the anus muscles lose tightness from the straining.

I'm not 100% sure on it being that though, but it looks very worrying!

I was wondering about that, but I've never seen it so I wasn't sure. I pm'd Pamnock so hopefully she'll be online and will take a look.

yeah its her anus her poop has been really black is there anything we can do for tonight to make her feel more comfortable?

It's hard for me to tell from the photo - is it actually part of the rectum bulging out? Does it appear to be fluid filled?

A number of things can cause the rectum to be irritated or to prolapse. It's one problem we occasionally see in our Dwarf Hotots, which are prone to intestinal problems. In many cases, high protein can make the problem worse. (Discontinue the alfalfa and give regular grass hay.) You can also give a little Nutri Cal (for cats & dogs). The extra calories will help with the weight issues and the vitamin E helps to relieve intestinal inflammation.

Parasites and digestive disorders as well as straining to urinate of deficate can also cause problems.

In some cases, it is simply due to a bacterial infection from feces or urine remaining in contact with the rectum.

I'd have the vet do a fecal exam for parasites & cocci.

Pam

i dont think its fluid filled Im not sure when itspopped out more its red and shiny like its wet...it kinda goes away after she poops than it comes back more after she poops again or while a poop is still sitting there... we took all the alfalfa away she just has her meadow mix now is timothy hay a better option?

Black poop can be from her food (discontinue the alfalfa), or from blood in the intestines. I think that it's most likely the rich diet she's getting.

Pam

Yes, timothy hay is much better. If a rabbit has pellets in its diet, there is no reason to also feed alfalfa hay.

Pam

when she started eating her alfalfa she stopped with her meadow mix and she never ate her pellets until the alfalfa obsession began she was just eating her alfalfa and pellets for a few days now... so we just have her hay in there for now .. we are really worried about her :(Thank you so much for all your help Pam

We just switched from pine to aspen too is this okay to use or do you think something else would be better for her?

We don't have our rabbits actually sitting in any type of bedding. In rare cases, individuals may be sensitive to certain types of wood shaving.

She'll be fine for a few days on the timothy hay. You'll notice that her droppings will lighten up quite a bit.

I would highly advise getting her in for a fecal exam since she was so thin when you got her.

I'd also give hera little Nutri Cal and continue to offer pellets. You might also try a very small amount of rolled oats. When our Dwarf Hotots had problems, they improved on a temporary diet of rolled oats and timothy hay. (Do note there have been some reports of rabbits having loose droppings from the oats -discontinue if this happens)

Pam

my husband is taking her to the vet first thing in the morning we will keep you updated thanks again

We took her to the vet and they did a fecal exam. Turns out she has eimeria coccidia. She is on albon suspension for 7 days two times a day.We were told it was most likely passeddown from her momShe is otherwise healthy though. Just wanted to update everyone! Thanks again everyone for all of your help!!

Thank you for the update! Hope she's well soon. Keep in mind that high cocci counts can be a secondary symptom to other health issues. (Many sick rabbits also have a high cocci count. Coccidia are present in most rabbits in low numbers).

Pam

Sorry if this sounds weird but can we get this? Everyone we tell is telling us to be careful that we dont get it from her too???

Serenity wrote:
Sorry if this sounds weird but can we get this? Everyone we tell is telling us to be careful that we dont get it from her too???

Although humans could contract cocci from rabbits, the parasite is species specific and generally isn't known to be pathogenic to humans. Those with compromised immune systems would be most likely infected.

Wash your hands after handling the bunny and avoid direct contact with droppings.

Pam

Latest posts

Back