Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CookieButter1

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I recently moved to RI from NJ and last spring when, I first came to see my new home, I noticed a cute little rabbit in the yard. I snapped a picture and didn’t think much else after that. Fast forward to this year, it is our first spring living in the house and the same (I believe, due to the very specific markings) rabbit is back). She (I just am guessing) lives alone under our deck and looks like an English Spot of some sort. I know nothing about rabbits and want to know if it’s normal for this kind of rabbit to live alone in the wild or live in the wild at all. I’ll attach some pictures, because I’m probably wrong about the breed, but have never seen a rabbit like this in the wild. Just want to make sure it’s ok that’s she’s out there alone and isn’t someone’s lost pet or something like that. Thanks!

Attachments

• 5F17669E-1822-4FF3-A213-CD0BE71EAE8E.jpeg
    5F17669E-1822-4FF3-A213-CD0BE71EAE8E.jpeg
    253.6 KB · Views: 25
  • F226FC8F-F724-406F-B00C-F262BF445DEA.jpeg
    F226FC8F-F724-406F-B00C-F262BF445DEA.jpeg
    245.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 99BEB71F-83BC-413F-999E-A26FA129CBD1.jpeg
    99BEB71F-83BC-413F-999E-A26FA129CBD1.jpeg
    250.7 KB · Views: 21
  • BA73CB9D-D2A0-4192-B896-F0EA07819AC6.jpeg
    BA73CB9D-D2A0-4192-B896-F0EA07819AC6.jpeg
    568.1 KB · Views: 21
I think it is a dwarf mix. You need to capture it and take it to a rabbit rescue. Make sure there are no babies underneath your deck when you capture him/her though.
Thank you so much for your reply! I’ve been so worried. It doesn’t seem afraid of me (though I keep my distance). I really care about it and want to make sure it gets the proper care. I’m just worried no rescues will be available because of the Coronavirus.

Thank you so much for your reply! I’ve been so worried. It doesn’t seem afraid of me (though I keep my distance). I really care about it and want to make sure it gets the proper care. I’m just worried no rescues will be available because of the Coronavirus.
Rescues should still be available because right now animals are being surrendered due to job losses. If you call the rescue they will come and catch it for you.

Hi, not wild rabbit for sure, it could be lost or escaped from your neighbours or dumped, but she/he looks pretty good and well fed and it is not clear how they survived winter alone under your deck. Maybe just keeps escaping every spring? Can you ask people living around?

Anyway I would just take her in or build some easy shelter / housing for her even in your backyard and would keep her in or outdoor up to you, maybe not for ever just during these uncertain times, we will help with all the info on how to take care, feed etc, shouldn't be difficult.

Hi, not wild rabbit for sure, it could be lost or escaped from your neighbours or dumped, but she/he looks pretty good and well fed and it is not clear how they survived winter alone under your deck. Maybe just keeps escaping every spring? Can you ask people living around?

Anyway I would just take her in or build some easy shelter / housing for her even in your backyard and would keep her in or outdoor up to you, maybe not for ever just during these uncertain times, we will help with all the info on how to take care, feed etc, shouldn't be difficult.
Yeah, I’m not sure either, that’s why I was so shocked to see her/him again. I see it everyday under the deck, but have not seen anyone looking for a rabbit. It may be hard to go around right now because I’m immunocompromised, but will definitely keep that in mind.
I’m going to call a rescue to help me get her/him, check for babies under the deck and make sure they’re healthy. I would like to keep the rabbit, if possible, but I’ve only ever been a cat and dog owner, and know rabbits are a huge responsibility. Thank you for your reply!

Yeah, I’m not sure either, that’s why I was so shocked to see her/him again. I see it everyday under the deck, but have not seen anyone looking for a rabbit. It may be hard to go around right now because I’m immunocompromised, but will definitely keep that in mind.
I’m going to call a rescue to help me get her/him, check for babies under the deck and make sure they’re healthy. I would like to keep the rabbit, if possible, but I’ve only ever been a cat and dog owner, and know rabbits are a huge responsibility. Thank you for your reply!
Surely you better stay safe and avoid social contacts, maybe you have a local online chat or something where you can ask if anyone had a home rabbit, but I think it's just a gift from the sky for you if you like that rabbit and as you said you feel like you are bonded why not, she looks very good clean pretty rabbit, I'd take her in and maybe later her owners will post an ad or something :)

Well it's up to you surely you can call rescue maybe they will come and take her without even having any contact with you

Hi everyone,
I recently moved to RI from NJ and last spring when, I first came to see my new home, I noticed a cute little rabbit in the yard. I snapped a picture and didn’t think much else after that. Fast forward to this year, it is our first spring living in the house and the same (I believe, due to the very specific markings) rabbit is back). She (I just am guessing) lives alone under our deck and looks like an English Spot of some sort. I know nothing about rabbits and want to know if it’s normal for this kind of rabbit to live alone in the wild or live in the wild at all. I’ll attach some pictures, because I’m probably wrong about the breed, but have never seen a rabbit like this in the wild. Just want to make sure it’s ok that’s she’s out there alone and isn’t someone’s lost pet or something like that. Thanks!
UPDATE: I was advised to call my local animal control. When they came out, they recognized the street and said that they had been out last spring trying to catch a couple of domestic rabbits that had escaped an illegal animal mill that used be down the road. They were not able to catch them, last year. After another failed attempt to catch the little guy/gal, this time, they set a live trap or have a heart trap. I saw the rabbit go into the trap, eat the bait, and hop back out lol. They were too light to set it off. I’m going to take the trap in at night (to avoid raccoons) and try again tomorrow! They said I can provide a home for the rabbit, if not, it will be put up for adoption :)

If you do end up keeping the little one we are here to answer any questions and help in any way!

Hi everyone,
UPDATE: The rabbit has been caught. Animal control was Extremely generous and supplied me with timothy hay, pellets, food bowl, water bowl, bedding, litter, a large crate, and small crate to put inside for the little one to have some privacy. The setup is just temporary, until I can get the rabbit a much better and bigger living pen. It looks like they’re here to stay! :) I have a vet appointment set up for tomorrow evening and it looks like he/her may be a Polish breed rabbit! Excited to give this little love bug a great home! The pictures are of them in the temporary living situation, so don’t worry about the space issue!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 25

Latest posts

Back