Is this a Holland Lop or a Mini Lop and a breeder?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 25471

Lionel and Murphy
Reaction score
I have been looking for a Holland Lop (I wanted a dwarf lop similar in size to my Lionhead) I went to look at some 6 week old babies and saw the parents. They looked a lot bigger than my 3 1/2 lb Lionhead . I expected them to be about the same size. When I asked Bucks weight she said about 5 lb (though I would have guessed 6) Are they lighter than they look? Aside from weight - what "size" should a Holland Lop be? I was expecting something smaller and now I am having second thoughts - which brings me to my second question. How can I find a breeder in NY state? I have hit dead ends with any listings I come across.

I'm confused if you're asking about the size of Holland Lops and if they're lighter than they look (sorry for being dumb lol) but if you are I was confused about the parents of my Holland Lops too because my bunbuns are small and their parents are medium but Holland Lops are light. Atleast mine are.

What I understand it's that holland lops in US the same as mini lops in UK weight around 1,5-1,8 kg while mini lops in US are a bit bigger than holland lops 2,1 kg - 2,9 kg .

Dwarf lops don't exist in the US. We have different names for all our types of lop, and that's a BRC breed.
Holland lops should be about the same weight as a lionhead. However, you see a lot of "brood" type holland lops that don't carry the dwarfing gene which average more around 4.5 lbs. You also see a lot of variation in pet lines (and a lot of those are probably not really purebred hollands imo) - personally I would only buy a holland lop from somebody breeding for show. They tend to have more genetic issues than other breeds (especially maloclussion) and so you really need a breeder that knows what they are doing.
Personally I would try to find a show nearby and go there to look for a breeder, there's usually hollands for sale at those shows. arba.net has a listing of shows

Dwarf lops don't exist in the US. We have different names for all our types of lop, and that's a BRC breed.
Holland lops should be about the same weight as a lionhead. However, you see a lot of "brood" type holland lops that don't carry the dwarfing gene which average more around 4.5 lbs. You also see a lot of variation in pet lines (and a lot of those are probably not really purebred hollands imo) - personally I would only buy a holland lop from somebody breeding for show. They tend to have more genetic issues than other breeds (especially maloclussion) and so you really need a breeder that knows what they are doing.
Personally I would try to find a show nearby and go there to look for a breeder, there's usually hollands for sale at those shows. arba.net has a listing of shows
Thank you. Yes I am just coming across info on the "dwarfing gene" ( and that's apparently what these DONT have). So that must be what I am dealing with.

I'm confused if you're asking about the size of Holland Lops and if they're lighter than they look (sorry for being dumb lol) but if you are I was confused about the parents of my Holland Lops too because my bunbuns are small and their parents are medium but Holland Lops are light. Atleast mine are.
I am just confused myself!!... I was so set on choosing one of these babies and then I saw the parents - and they were just a lot bigger than I expected. I guess I was wondering if their weight was deceiving....and they weren't as heavy as they looked big (if that makes any sense) So your buns are small (as adults) but their parents seemed bigger? I know the females can run a little bigger.

Personally I wouldn't buy from that breeder. There really isn't much reason to use a 5 lb buck (if thats how much they said they weighed) in a holland lop program imo. That animal is not a good representation of that breed, and breeding 'purebred' animals that don't look much like the breed is a red flag for me that they might be a backyard breeder just trying to breed some to sell (which doesn't make money, btw, but it takes them a few litters to figure that out). If they're ignoring weight when picking breeding stock, who knows what other factors they might be ignoring as well, such as bite/maloclussion? With hollands if you want to buy a breeder you really need to stick to finding a responsible breeder.

Personally I wouldn't buy from that breeder. There really isn't much reason to use a 5 lb buck (if thats how much they said they weighed) in a holland lop program imo. That animal is not a good representation of that breed, and breeding 'purebred' animals that don't look much like the breed is a red flag for me that they might be a backyard breeder just trying to breed some to sell (which doesn't make money, btw, but it takes them a few litters to figure that out). If they're ignoring weight when picking breeding stock, who knows what other factors they might be ignoring as well, such as bite/maloclussion? With hollands if you want to buy a breeder you really need to stick to finding a responsible breeder.
You have made some good points. I did look at the Arba.net site for shows and missed anything close to me and there were no breeders under 4 hrs from me. I know there are certain rules for posting here....so not sure if you can answer this... but where do breeders post babies that are for sale? I also tried Rabbitbreederr.us to find breeders and most listed have been out of it for YEARS. I can't find anything within 3 hrs of me (which I WOULD drive....but I am just thinking there must be something closer)

Honestly most the breeder postings I see are on facebook. If you can find a facebook group for rabbit breeders in your area they probably know where to get holland lops.

My parents said that they're different breeds from their parents but they got a litter of Holland lops so that's that but Holland bubuns don't grow large and I did find the my heavier bun is marshmallow my girl Holland but that also could be from her pregnancy (if she is pregnant) but then again that's my story.

Latest posts

Back