Is this a false pregnancy?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Quick question. I have two does due this week. Over the weekend they both were pulling hair and making nests. Now they both have messed up their nests. One will still do the hay mustache if given hay, the other doesnt. Is it a sign that one had a false pregnancy? They are both first time moms.

See these if you can relate:
- Pulling fur from abdomen and chest.
- Making a nest.
- Developing mammary glands.
- Aggressively defending nesting site.

If you can see these, then it is something else. It's false pregnancy , not the real one. Because rabbits ovulate reflexively in response to sexual stimulation, the proximity of a male, an infertile mating, or mating behavior between two females housed together can stimulate ovulation and result in false pregnancy.

See these if you can relate:
- Pulling fur from abdomen and chest.
- Making a nest.
- Developing mammary glands.
- Aggressively defending nesting site.

If you can see these, then it is something else. It's false pregnancy , not the real one. Because rabbits ovulate reflexively in response to sexual stimulation, the proximity of a male, an infertile mating, or mating behavior between two females housed together can stimulate ovulation and result in false pregnancy.

The behaviors you list can also indicate a possible pregnancy.

The behaviors you list can also indicate a possible pregnancy.
Yes, thanks for saying that because I was very confused by the post... I ve had rabbits with false ones act the exact same way as pregnant does..you don’t know until you see the babies...I’ve also had does star pulling fur and messing around with hay like 10 days before, so that’s not always the best indicator. If I know when my rabbit is due, a few fads ahead I put the nesting box in and let her do her thing...and then..however she acts , unless an emergency..but I try to ignore because it’ll drive you crazy waiting for them to be born.....but man it’s great when those kits are here!

Agreed...there is no ‘one size fits all’ for this. Each doe can act a little differently but over time you get to know what’s normal behavior and what’s not for each doe. I’ll admit though that even then we’ve been surprised (or disappointed) a few times.

Latest posts

Back