is there something seriously wrong with my rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crisi1987

Reaction score
well, i have a netherland dwarf rabbit, hes only about 3 months old. i got him about 2 weeks ago. he was perfectly fine when i got him, always running around eating and drinking fine. he doesnt eat anything abnormal like house plants or anything because we dont have any and when hes out of his cage i watch him carefully. for the past few days ive noticed all he really does is lay around. he looks really tired like his eyes keep closing and well hes just listless. i noticed he has a lot of water and stuff coming from his eyes, i try to wash it off as much as i can but a lot of it gets really hard around his eyes. i feel bad for him cause i wonder if it hurts. now he wont eat or drink or anything. i pick him up and hold him and then set him down, he doesnt even move to a different spot. he wont even stand up. when i set him down and make it so hes standing he just falls over and lays there. what do you think is wrong with him? i cant take him to the vet because i dont have any money right now and its so expensive for him to get tested for anything wrong.

First of all - may I ask where you got your rabbit? I'm asking - because if you got him from a breeder - perhaps the breeder can look at him for you (even though I really recommend a vet sees him/her).

I found this website for Wisconsin:

http://www.wisconsinhrs.org/

I would contact the House Rabbit Society ASAP (first thing in the morning if you can't contact them today) and see if perhaps they have vets who could help you for a reduced fee or free. I know nothing about this society other than the fact they care about rabbits and I imagine they might be able to help in some manner.

I wish I could tell you more - you might want to check our rabbit resource section under 'eyes'. I did some checking tehre but wound up thinking that you really needed to see a vet - and ASAP - partly because I couldn't understand everything I was reading.

The fact that he is listless and won't eat or drink really bothers me. Can you get some parsley and try dipping it in water and then waving it in front of him until he nibbles at it (or grabs it to take it away from you so you won't bug him)? Or syringe feed (you can use an eyedropper) either some unflavored pedialyte or even water into him?

Its really important that he stays hydrated - food is important too - don't get me wrong....but dehydration can kill so quickly!

I wish you the best - I wish I could be of more help!

Peg

I definately agree with Tinysmom. She gave some really good advice. It sounds like an eye infection to me, which needs antibiotics.

Have you heard of Care Credit? I looked into it when Fey got hurt. It's a credit card for vet bills. If you pay on their payment schedule, there is no interest at all. No charges, nothing, as long as you go by their payment schedule and I think there is a minimum amount for the no-interest program. Many vets accept this and have brochures available.

The "Runny Eyes" section is here:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12017&forum_id=10

:pinkpansy:

Yes, so sorry, it sounds like there is something seriously wrong with your rabbit. :saddened:

They can't go more than 24 hours without eating or drinking, so if this has been going on for awhile, you're at a critical stage. Has he been pooping?

Is this the same bunny who had the mini-stroke?

I'm not an expert, but it seems logical that if so, the stroke waseither caused by some infection or something that's making him sicker now, or the stroke was a sign of a neurological problem that'smanifesting itself in other forms, now.

Given the weepy eyes, etcetera, I'd suspect the former.

If you can't afford a regular vet, you certainly can't afford the emergency treatmentthis little guy needs, but I seriously doubt there's much anybody can do, anyway. I, too, would check with wherever you got him from to try and get to the bottom of the ailment, especiallyin case it's something that other rabbits can get.

:bigtears:

sas :pray:and pipp :pray:

ill answer your questions about him though. no hes not the same one that had the stroke. he didnt stop eating for more than 24 hours, he was eating fine last night and then this morning he just stopped. i felt so bad for him. i cant believe how hes gone.

I'm so sorry he died. It is so hard to lose a bunny - even if you haven't known them long.

Peg

The eating then not eating is what happened to my bunny. She died yesterday. I know how you feel, and want you to know that it does get better. Your baby is up on rainbow bridge binkying with my bunny : )

I would recommend getting your other bunnies checked over by a vet, in case your dwarf had something potentially contagious.

thank you guys. this was the second bunny i got and the first one who ive experienced died. well actually when i saw there was something weird going on with him i seperated all the other bunnies, i put them in a different room. i just finished completely cleaning out all the cages and the room they stay in. were going to bury him tomorrow, unfortunately its like -3 degrees here so i hope itll be warmer out tomorrow. by the way im sorry about your bunny dying.

I'm sorry to hear he died. From what your description it doesn't sound like there would have been much anyone could do for him. At least he was loved while he was here.

Latest posts

Back