is there an alfalfa alternative for baby rabbits (I have allergies!!)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeilyk

Reaction score
Hihi I'm new!! I did try to search for this before posting but I got every thread even mentioning alfalfa 😅

I'm allergic to alfalfa and timothy hay. I've bought a hay taster pack to test which hays I can stand to be near without my allergies playing up. In the pack is:

Crau Hay
Meadow Hay
Oat Hay
Orchard Hay
Ryegrass Hay

I've tried a few being nearby me, smelling and touching them to see if I have any kind of reaction and I'm fine so far.

I'm just concerned if I get a young rabbit or pair that I won't be providing them with enough protein or calcium by using one of these. I've looked into the nutritional analysis of some hays and nothing comes close to alfalfa hay 😭

Has anyone with an alfalfa hay allergy had any luck with alfalfa pellets? As this seems like a good option. I will also provide a hay I'm not allergic to 😊

I'm prepared to get an adult rabbit or pair if I can't find a good solution to this. I've had my heart set on keeping rabbits for well over a decade and I've only just come into a financial position to do it, it's so unfortunate my health may get in the way of it!

TIA x

We typically recommend not feeding alfalfa hay as it can be difficult to switch them to grass hay when they get older.
Aslong as their pellets are alfalfa based or designed for youngsters youre good. Not just "alfalfa pellets" but actual pellets with all the vitamins and minerals they need.
We ideally dont want compressed alfalfa or hay only "pellets" as bunnies need the long strang fibre for their digestion and teeth.
Those grass hays in the taster pack are fine.

I'm prepared to get an adult rabbit or pair if I can't find a good solution to this. I've had my heart set on keeping rabbits for well over a decade and I've only just come into a financial position to do it, it's so unfortunate my health may get in the way of it!

TIA x

If your desire is to have a bonded pair of rabbits, I'd actually strongly recommend getting an already-bonded, adult pair. Remember, they are considered adults at around 6-7 months of age!! So there really is no down side to getting a pair of adults. Rescues typically have pairs available.

On the other hand, getting a young (not fixed yet) pair of rabbits is a risky way to go. Once their hormones kick in, they can begin fighting. You really have no way to know whether they will bond until after those hormones/neutering. In other words, by getting a pair of young rabbits, you may end up having to house them separately if they decide to not bond. (Baby "bonds" don't count as true bonds for this very reason.)

Latest posts

Back