Is there a Must Have Breeders "Bible"?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TiffandTom

Reaction score
I don't mean to be sacrilegious with the title of this post.

Are there any experienced breeders who would be willing to share the books they feel every breeder should never be without? What helped you the most? What is your advice to beginner breeders? What resources are critical for us to know or have access to? Also, how can someone go about getting a breeder mentor to help with questions and things that come up? Is that basically what this forum is supposed to function as?

Also, do any of you breeders have Pet Health Insurance? If so, what company do you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Well :D, about which book helped me most, that would be "Watership Down" since it helped me to accept that there might be more going on in those little heads than what meets the eye ;)

It always helps to have talks with local breeders, it helps to get to know sources for local hay and lifestock. I moved here 7 years ago, and by now have rabbits from both other breeders in my street in my herd.

This Forum is more pet centered, there are some knowageable breeders and show people around, but if breeding is your shtick you might want to check out Rabbit Talk - Meat Rabbit & Farming Forum

As a breeder I don't have insurance, and wouldn't have one if I were into insurances at all. I can understand that some people like to have that for pets, but I'm not sure if it does make sense with lifestock. Every insurence is kind of a lottery, on average you always pay more than you'll get out, otherwise noone would sell insurencies and make money with it.

Ah, but our vets here aren't that expensive, most issues are dealt with 50-70€. I need to see the vet 1-3 times a year, likely less now that I'm down to 6 (+offspring) rabbits.

Last edited:
I don't know a single legitimate breeder who has pet insurance. Most of the breeders don't take their rabbits to the vet very often; and when they do, they work with a farm vet that will see their whole herd, which isnt the sort of the thing that is easily covered by insurance.

The American Rabbit Breeders Association Standard of the Perfection is a must have book for breeders in my opinion; and when you join the ARBA you get their Official Guidebook. Storey's Guide to Raising Rabbits is another book that a lot of breeders recommend.

There are quite a few facebook groups about rabbit breeding. Rabbit Showing & Breeding Advice is a good one. The best way to find a mentor, in my opinion, is to find out what breed you are interested in and see if there are any local breeders with that breed. Going to rabbit shows is a good way to find other breeders. If you were getting in to breeding rabbits I would definitely recommend checking out shows; even if you aren't planning on showing (which you should, imo), that is the best way to find experienced breeders to connect with.

Latest posts

Back