Is there a connection Between rabbit’s ear Infections and Allergies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LetaRayn

Reaction score
Im just wondering if there is a connection Between rabbit’s ear Infections and Allergies?

My rabbit had an ear infection in Autumn and I took to the vet and everything became fine after two weeks but now he has the same ear infection symptoms I notice in him. So is there any connection between the weather (allergies) and ear infection?

Yes the ears drip down the sinus. the ears drain to the back of the throat and nose. If the ears are infected the infection is probably making that happen. Be careful I would call the vet she will probably prescribe a different antibiotic. The other one may not have been strong enough or just a different type. Do the ears have any pus?

Allergies are very rare in rabbits. How was the ear infection treated? I assume it was an external ear infection? Take him to the vet again...

Also have you had the teeth checked? Rabbits deal with pain very well but If it is an ear infection should figure out what the cause is. Ear infection is usually a secondary cause.
I took him to the vet last night and he give him to shots of antibiotics. I asked him what the cause of his ear infection he said because the weather because it dusty here but he didn't check his teeth.Iam still looking for another problem in him since he lose his appetite a little bit.and not his ear is perfectly clean.

Last edited:
Allergies are very rare in rabbits. How was the ear infection treated? I assume it was an external ear infection? Take him to the vet again...
I took him to the vet last night he gave him two shots of antibiotics. the ear infection is decrease today but he suffering from lose appetite a little.

You need a better rabbit vet... What are the symptoms exactly? The loss of appetite if it just happened could be because of the stress of the vet visit.

You need a better rabbit vet... What are the symptoms exactly? The loss of appetite if it just happened could be because of the stress of the vet visit.
Well the sad thing he is the best one in the area even though I know he is not a suitable vet for my rabbit but what can do else :(

Yesterday first he became very selective in his eating he stop eating lettuce and hey and only eat dill and some treats but at night he stop eating anything . I give him Simeticone in mid night when I heard a little bubbling and continued giving him till today. Now he is better he started eating hay and greens again but not in normal amount. But he is getting better.

Well the sad thing he is the best one in the area even though I know he is not a suitable vet for my rabbit but what can do else :(

Yesterday first he became very selective in his eating he stop eating lettuce and hey and only eat dill and some treats but at night he stop eating anything . I give him Simeticone in mid night when I heard a little bubbling and continued giving him till today. Now he is better he started eating hay and greens again but not in normal amount. But he is getting better.
Try not to overdo it on the greens. Just give a small amount (size of his head) of fresh herbs per day. You want him to eat at least his body volume in hay every day.

Try not to overdo it on the greens. Just give a small amount (size of his head) of fresh herbs per day. You want him to eat at least his body volume in hay every day.
Yeah Iam trying to do that and increase the hay more because he is not really like it so Iam Reducing the greens a little by little so he could get used about eating more hay. And every two days I give him a little treat.

And thank you for your responding and your advices

Try different types of grass hay - if you can find it over there. It's really tough not having good rabbit vets around. Hope he's going to be OK.

Try different types of grass hay - if you can find it over there. It's really tough not having good rabbit vets around. Hope he's going to be OK.

Unfortunately there's only one type of hay. And you are right about how tough not having a good vet to your bun but I definitely do my best to take care of my boy.

Hiya Diane, may I ask about your statement allergies are very rare in rabbits as just took my Giant baby to vet and she said its an allergy from certain types of farmed hay depending in dust levels etc. Hes a sore throat and upper respiratory tract infection from a bale I use on his toilet pellets to graze on while enjoying his poop etc lol. It's not the long stem or other posh one I got so I think dust has a bigger part to play esp with Giants than I realised. My "normal breeds" are fine so does seem true and only started "cold" symptoms since used new bale on his toilet tray. Hope this may help someone to watch out for dust being a problem.
Thanks
Anita

Can you buy it online, do you have amazon access? Lots online next day free delivery x

Amazon doesn't deliver to where I live and nor any other companies. Only a local hay seller.

Hiya Diane, may I ask about your statement allergies are very rare in rabbits as just took my Giant baby to vet and she said its an allergy from certain types of farmed hay depending in dust levels etc. Hes a sore throat and upper respiratory tract infection from a bale I use on his toilet pellets to graze on while enjoying his poop etc lol. It's not the long stem or other posh one I got so I think dust has a bigger part to play esp with Giants than I realised. My "normal breeds" are fine so does seem true and only started "cold" symptoms since used new bale on his toilet tray. Hope this may help someone to watch out for dust being a problem.
Thanks
Anita
Hi Anita, If you stick your nose in a pile of dusty hay, you will sneeze too. That's not an allergy. If a bunny sneezes once or twice when they are eating hay, that's nothing to worry about. (Always a good idea to get dust free hay though.) It's when they have sneezing fits every day even when not near hay (and especially when there is discharge) you have to worry. And then it's almost always a URI. The URI is not from hay, it's a bacterial infection. I hope the vet gave you a long (at the very least 2 weeks) course of antibiotics.

Hi Anita, If you stick your nose in a pile of dusty hay, you will sneeze too. That's not an allergy. If a bunny sneezes once or twice when they are eating hay, that's nothing to worry about. (Always a good idea to get dust free hay though.) It's when they have sneezing fits every day even when not near hay (and especially when there is discharge) you have to worry. And then it's almost always a URI. The URI is not from hay, it's a bacterial infection. I hope the vet gave you a long (at the very least 2 weeks) course of antibiotics.
No she didn't. An anti inflammatory and histamine. He's a 14 wk Conti Giant. Do you think it's infection? , ive herd no sneezing or coughs since removed the toilet hay I use to cover wood pellets as hes indoor bunny. Hmmm il take your advice to her do you think? I've years of normal sized bunny experience but the Continental Giants are a new journey ive always wanted to go on 😊

No she didn't. An anti inflammatory and histamine. He's a 14 wk Conti Giant. Do you think it's infection? , ive herd no sneezing or coughs since removed the toilet hay I use to cover wood pellets as hes indoor bunny. Hmmm il take your advice to her do you think? I've years of normal sized bunny experience but the Continental Giants are a new journey ive always wanted to go on 😊
And yes this was a spare slice from a bale if field hay,lovely and fresh but it is dusty. Thanks for advice.

BTW he was sneezing away from hay up with me on bed just a couple of times but not heard him yet today so think your bang on with hay dust theory rather than allergy. Il keep close eye on him and if nasel discharge in morning il ring them. First time using her so I hope they are going to be good enough for Big Tom. Must say she got on floor to do exam as he was strong lol, 4.7 kilos already 🤣

If he stopped sneezing it must have been the dust. Hope he continues to do well.

Latest posts

Back