Is the VHD1 vaccine the same as the RHD vaccine?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abi :)

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm looking into adopting a rabbit and one of the questions on the form is if our existing rabbit has had her VHD1 vaccine along with the two doses of RHD. I called my vet and the receptionist she said our rabbit has had both the doses of RHD and she said that she needed to confirm with the actual vet about the VHD1 vaccine, after talking to our vet the receptionist came back and said that the RHD vaccine is the same as the first dose of the VHD which she has already had, but on the adoption form it says 'against Myxo/VHD1 and RHD2 – 2 separate vaccinations', are they both the same? I tried to read up but I'm pretty confused... Any help appreciated! <3

Rhd and vhd are the same thing. Rhd is rabbit hemorrhagic disease, also known as viral hemorrhagic disease. But there are two different strains, rhd1 (vhd1) and rhd2 (vhd2). Rhd1 is usually given as a combination vaccine with myxomatosis. Rhd2 is a separate vaccine. I would assume that they are wanting to make sure both the rhd1/myxo and the rhd2 vaccine have been given.
https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/disease/rabbit-vhd/
Rabbit hemorrhagic disease - Wikipedia. (contains medical related photos )

I have heard there a new combination vaccination that go for all, it’s quite new and have just come out to market here in sweden. So it’s a vaccination for RVHD1 & 2 and myxo.

Wish it had come in april and I could of saved money.

As JBun said it’s the same, just using a different nickname :)

Hi guys, I'm looking into adopting a rabbit and one of the questions on the form is if our existing rabbit has had her VHD1 vaccine along with the two doses of RHD. I called my vet and the receptionist she said our rabbit has had both the doses of RHD and she said that she needed to confirm with the actual vet about the VHD1 vaccine, after talking to our vet the receptionist came back and said that the RHD vaccine is the same as the first dose of the VHD which she has already had, but on the adoption form it says 'against Myxo/VHD1 and RHD2 – 2 separate vaccinations', are they both the same? I tried to read up but I'm pretty confused... Any help appreciated! <3
Look at your bunny's vaccination card. There should be a sticker for Nobivac and another sticker for Filavac (or Eravac) during the last year. Well done going for adoption!

Look at your bunny's vaccination card. There should be a sticker for Nobivac and another sticker for Filavac (or Eravac) during the last year. Well done going for adoption!

I'm not sure if my vets do vaccination cards, but I filled in the adoption form with the dates and the volunteer said it was okay, so we may be getting a new bun soon!

I'm not sure if my vets do vaccination cards, but I filled in the adoption form with the dates and the volunteer said it was okay, so we may be getting a new bun soon!
They really should give you a vaccination card. I would double check that he has had those vaccinations - for your own piece of mind. Will the rescue do the bonding for you?

They really should give you a vaccination card. I would double check that he has had those vaccinations - for your own piece of mind. Will the rescue do the bonding for you?

I'll ask the vets when we go in next time, but for now I got the confirmation that she has had them and the dates for her next doses. And yes the shelter we are looking to adopt her partner from vaccinates, neuters and offers bonding services which I think is great!

Latest posts

Back