Is the enclosure big enough?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looie_pooie

Reaction score
I have a 7-10 year old rabbit (we don’t know how old he is, the previous owner didn’t tell us, but we had him for around 6 years) I recently upgraded his enclosure to a 5x3 C&C cage. It is two grids high, and because we moved him into it yesterday, I plan to give him some floor time, but because he is elderly, he can’t control his bladder, and poops.

Is the enclosure big enough? And how can I get him to go in the litter box, and not pee on my floor?

How big are the cc panels? If your rabbit can sprawl out 3-4 times his own length both ways in the area then it is spacious enough.
I cannot advise on his bladder control and litter habits though, as i've never had a rabbit that old.

The House Rabbit Society recommends 32 square Housing | House Rabbit Society
But
It depends on your specific situation, do you have a more-or-less, active elderly bun, if so I would increase it to 25+ square feet

Do you have a less active elderly bun I would decrease the space (less than 32)

As for height, a rabbit needs to at least be able to stand on its hind legs without touching the roof.

Incase you don’t have one a low sided litter box would make it easier to access 🙂

Ok thank you. His each panel is about 12 in. He isn’t super active, but still loves to Explore his surroundings. There is also no roof on the enclosure. he does have a low sided litter box, but I was thinking if upgrading to a high wall enclosed litter box, with a low opening, Because he is a digger.

A 3 grid by 5 grid enclosure is about 20 sq ft.
Is he urinating outside his litter box or just pooping?

Extra poos are pretty common especially when a rabbit first moves into a new space or cage. He's marking his territory and that will settle down in time.

The high sided box with a low entry is a good idea.

Here's an example (of course the opening can be made lower if desired):

Attachments

• rubbermaid.png
    rubbermaid.png
    465.4 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Back